Gardenias

Enjoy our Senior Member's Beautiful Blooms!

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Gardenias

Post by mikhurram »

Humidity as mentioned by Aykhan can make a big difference along with my breeze to permeating fragrance in the air.

Perhaps my nose is less sensitive to fragrance... :)
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I don't think it's about nose sensitivity. It really is intense fragrance. Might be my medium or location. My grafted plants are under Alstonia trees in 24 inch pots and they get reasonable sun in winter and just minimal filtered light in summer when sun is high. The trees fragrance desceibed as intense was with many blooms. However even a single flower of both Alba and Champaca are very fragrant.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

location possibly..
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464079280.782101.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464079232.690924.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464079132.329475.jpg
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Is there a possibility that the plants owned by imran are different than the ones by Dr Amer ? Maybe difference of cultivar or hybird or the difference of rootstock maybe?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

khabbab wrote:Is there a possibility that the plants owned by imran are different than the ones by Dr Amer ? Maybe difference of cultivar or hybird or the difference of rootstock maybe?
I think it is a matter of humidity, temperature and the number of flowers growing on the plant. Recall that a single Cestrum nocturnum flower is almost odorless, yet the whole plant can be overwhelmingly fragrant. I was also disappointed with Michelia alba's overrated fragrance on the web.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Humidity is definitely a factor no doubt about it. Maybe since my pots are under trees and on soil with surrounding grass which gets watered the microclimate is good for enhancing fragrance. But I tell you consistently every evening and early morning there is amazing fragrance when these flowers are in bloom.

I'm not certain but maybe my Alba is Michelia sirindhonia var Bali which is a cream flowered hybrid of Alba. It is very fragrant. I doubt that the reason even if true since fragrance of Alba is appropriately rated on the Internet.
Khadijah
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: I am totally new to gardening. I would like to develop a fragrant garden.

Post by Khadijah »

Thanks aykhan and M farooq sb

Return to “Dr Amer's Exotic Garden”