Gardenias

Enjoy our Senior Member's Beautiful Blooms!

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Gardenias

Post by aykhan »

I have acquired different varieties of Gardenia over the past year but struggle to make them bloom. I think I have some knowledge now of their likes and dislikes which will inshallah help them to bloom. As they bloom I will post pictures on this thread inshallah. Today I finally have a bloom to share of Gardenia jasminoides 'fortuniana' :D
Attachments
Gardenia jasminoides 'fortuniana'
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Gardenias

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I would love to gain from your experience and grow as many as I can.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

What I have figured out is that root rot is common with gardenias and that in Lahore they will likely do better in pots or a filtered light location. They should be well watererd and then allowed to dry completely dry before rewatering. I have also got a pH meter now and add used coffee ground to keep pH at 6 or less. I only use peat moss and compost as a medium. Still experimenting Brig saheb let's see how this works out this year for my gardenias.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

aykhan wrote:What I have figured out is that root rot is common with gardenias and that in Lahore they will likely do better in pots or a filtered light location. They should be well watererd and then allowed to dry completely dry before rewatering. I have also got a pH meter now and add used coffee ground to keep pH at 6 or less. I only use peat moss and compost as a medium. Still experimenting Brig saheb let's see how this works out this year for my gardenias.
Which type of PH meter it is and where did you get it from?
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

The fragrance of gardenias is mesmerizing but its difficult to keep alive requires constant care.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

You can get a pH meter from Pride Seeds. I think they have one with a moisture meter too which should also be helpful since often we're not sure if deep down it's dry or moist and then we tend to over water.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Another thing I'm trying is gradually moving up on pot dimensions. Rather than move a small gardenia to a large pot I move up by 2 inches on the pot. This way a good root system is formed. I think the most important things would be moist but not wet soil, filtered light and a strongly acidic medium (pH 5.5 to 6.0). We should expect them to bloom when temps are between 65 and 75 degrees F. The heat after that will definitely stress them and we'll see bud drops. Our best chances of seeing blooms is likely early Spring to early Summer and then again early Fall.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

The pride one, I have, is it a reliable Ph meter?
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

The green one available at Pride is the same one I brought from the US. I think it should be OK. The soil has to be moist to get an accurate reading. You can also acidify your gardenias by adding one glass of white vinegar to a gallon of water and watering it once a month during active growth. I'm stickicking to the used coffee grounds for now but have managed to get the pH to about 6. If they flower I'll keepit around 6 otherwise try for the 5.5
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Ferous Sulfate worked best for my Gardenias, I am taking cuttings form my Gardenias now, and was successful in air-layering too last time:

http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... ring#p2544

Later:

Return to “Dr Amer's Exotic Garden”