Summer of '12

Enjoy our Senior Member's Beautiful Blooms!

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Summer of '12

Post by aykhan »

Brought two small Iochromas Indigo and Wine Red. They stuggled but one of them has recovered and actually has sent up blooms almost right away completely taking me by surprise! This is a close up, the plant is only a few inches tall and is supposed to get upto 6-10 feet max.
Attachments
Iochroma "Indigo"
Iochroma "Indigo"
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

aykhan wrote:This buddleia is the only one which recovered well from the long journey from the US, the others are still recovering but now, with the heat gon,e I think they'll make it.
How fragrant was the buddleja Dr Sb?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

aykhan wrote:Brought two small Iochromas Indigo and Wine Red. They stuggled but one of them has recovered and actually has sent up blooms almost right away completely taking me by surprise! This is a close up, the plant is only a few inches tall and is supposed to get upto 6-10 feet max.
Great to see this south american plant in your garden. I expect the trumpets will be large and more showy when plant grows up. It should grow well here in lahore.
Lahore gardening blog
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

The buddleia is fragrant but I think there need to be a lot of blooms to be able to smell the frgrance from a distance.

I hope the Iochromas do well. I know I have tried Brugmansia twice and have effectively not been able to keep them healthy. The heat of May/June and then the winter is too much stress. I am hoping for the best.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

If Buddleia is growing in Lahore then it should grow in Karachi too :mrgreen:, have seen Iochroma in a nursery dont find it apealing, it looks like a a very low blooming hamelia in purple color... :geek: liked that gerbera's color..

Brugmansia loves Karachi's mild winters but rot in summers..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

It is an I ALSO HAVE IT PLANT.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I have failed miserably with Brugmansia which obviously would be of preference over Iochroam due to the larger flowers. Maybe I can do better with Iochroma as compared to brugmansia. I think flowering is more prolonged in Iochroma.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

i m big fan of Butterfly bush.can we grow it in Pakistan.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I will see how the buddleia goes this year. Next year monsoon will inshallah have cuttings for all active members on the forum ;) if they work out and survive.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

I have seen blue buddleja davidii flowering in Summer heat of June at a nursery in Patokki though the plant was in shade. There are lots of heat tolerant cultivars now and i have no doubt it can grow in lahore. All eyes on Doc's Buddlejas :)
Lahore gardening blog

Return to “Dr Amer's Exotic Garden”