Summer Blooming 2012, Karachi

One of our Finest Young Gardener From Karachi

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Summer Blooming 2012, Karachi

Post by Izhar »

Thank you all.. as these can be propagated through cuttings, so I am planing to take some cuttings and propagate it due to its heavy and regular blooming habit..

BTW the Calla lilies are not taking the sun well and I am planning to dig and keep them in containers inside the house..
zaheer
City: karachi

Post by zaheer »

very nice.::):):)
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Chocolate Daisy, Berlandiera lyrata and it has a sweet milk chocolate like fragrance:
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Very nice Izhar. I'm certain this thread will bring pleasure for all.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

In the month of November 2011 there were 3 seedlings in my finished portulaca pot, they looked like papaya seedlings to me but the true leaves were different, they were very slow and in three months, till January 2012 end, they were just 2" and became a bit woody from base, this made me curious and I kept them.. they started growing quickly as the temperature began to warm and started forming tendril, now they were growing like a vine... I planted them in ground in April, now today they bloomed and were identified (plz correct if wrong) as Passiflora foetida ... the seeds came here in bird dropping.. keeping in mind that Passion Vines are not common in Karachi, in fact you can buy these from very few nurseries. On the other hand I am also growing Passiflora incarnata and the vine is around 2 feet now, growing quickly though.

Passiflora foetida:

Butterfly caterpillars are already here:
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Wow! You got a good deal there :D smart move to keep them!
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

One of the most dependable plants in my garden Cosmos sulphureus... grows in most soil types, pest free, butterflies love it.. numerous blooms through out the year.. make lots of seeds.. very easily grown from direct sowing.. during winters the height is less, up to 2' max, but in summer it may become taller 4'... nice fern like foliage.. and bright vivid colors of blooms:
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

Izhar wrote:In the month of November 2011 there were 3 seedlings in my finished portulaca pot, they looked like papaya seedlings to me but the true leaves were different, they were very slow and in three months, till January 2012 end, they were just 2" and became a bit woody from base, this made me curious and I kept them.. they started growing quickly as the temperature began to warm and started forming tendril, now they were growing like a vine... I planted them in ground in April, now today they bloomed and were identified (plz correct if wrong) as Passiflora foetida ... the seeds came here in bird dropping.. keeping in mind that Passion Vines are not common in Karachi, in fact you can buy these from very few nurseries. On the other hand I am also growing Passiflora incarnata and the vine is around 2 feet now, growing quickly though.

Passiflora foetida:
Is this white Passiflora fragrant ?
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

No it is not fragrant...
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Happy to see passiflora blooming. It has very pretty flowers. Izhar, is the myth true about passiflora that some plants are loaded with blooms while some are very poor bloomers. Have you seen any passiflora in karachi full of flowers?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Return to “Green Thumb Izhar's Garden”