Gulzar-e-Hijri Karachi blooms 2013

One of our Finest Young Gardener From Karachi

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Gulzar-e-Hijri Karachi blooms 2013

Post by Izhar »

@ Asim, the dahlia in the picture is grown from cuttings and not the seeds, you will have to purchase the rooted cuttings in November.. dahlia could be grown from seeds but are small flowered and open centered, google "dahlia seed collecting" and you will have your answer how to collect the seeds.. for roses you can buy any color you want, its your personal choice.. if you are growing roses for the first time then i would suggest you to buy Desi rose initially, it is one the most fragrant and disease resistant rose for Karachi...you can read much information in the rose section..
Sunflowers are best grown in ground directly from seeds, they are fast growing plant and need fertilizers to produce big healthy blooms, they could be grown any time in Karachi, prepare the soil by mixing lots of ojhri ki khaad and water the soil for 1 week before planting seeds then level up the soil and sow seeds 6" apart.. water with care so the seeds dont get disturbed, they will germinate in 2-3 days, when the plants reach size of 12" support them with stakes, they are very tall plants and are easily knocked down by wind.. buy NPK granules from garden shops and start giving them every week 10-15 granules per plant taking care not to put the granules near the plant's stem or it will rot.. sunflowers die after flowering...

@ Farhan, rightly said the phlox is one of the most floriferous annual in our climate and grows without special care or fertilizers.. there is a good range of colors.. i grew these from paneeri and will be collecting the seeds color vise inshaAllah... the desi ones are self-sowing.. they germinate, grow and blooms in neglect, adding colors to the garden.. look at the self sowing phlox from last year:

Zinnias bloom through out the year in Karachi, the self sowing larkspurs in the picture have germinated too close to each other and i didnt thinned them out so they are short only 12"-16" in height, but those which are planted separately are now 30"-50" tall..

@ Umar: the maximum performance of petunias would be by March end inshaAllah..
asimishtiaq

Post by asimishtiaq »

Izhar wrote:@ Asim, the dahlia in the picture is grown from cuttings and not the seeds, you will have to purchase the rooted cuttings in November.. dahlia could be grown from seeds but are small flowered and open centered, google "dahlia seed collecting" and you will have your answer how to collect the seeds.. for roses you can buy any color you want, its your personal choice.. if you are growing roses for the first time then i would suggest you to buy Desi rose initially, it is one the most fragrant and disease resistant rose for Karachi...you can read much information in the rose section..
Sunflowers are best grown in ground directly from seeds, they are fast growing plant and need fertilizers to produce big healthy blooms, they could be grown any time in Karachi, prepare the soil by mixing lots of ojhri ki khaad and water the soil for 1 week before planting seeds then level up the soil and sow seeds 6" apart.. water with care so the seeds dont get disturbed, they will germinate in 2-3 days, when the plants reach size of 12" support them with stakes, they are very tall plants and are easily knocked down by wind.. buy NPK granules from garden shops and start giving them every week 10-15 granules per plant taking care not to put the granules near the plant's stem or it will rot.. sunflowers die after flowering...

@ Farhan, rightly said the phlox is one of the most floriferous annual in our climate and grows without special care or fertilizers.. there is a good range of colors.. i grew these from paneeri and will be collecting the seeds color vise inshaAllah... the desi ones are self-sowing.. they germinate, grow and blooms in neglect, adding colors to the garden.. look at the self sowing phlox from last year:

Zinnias bloom through out the year in Karachi, the self sowing larkspurs in the picture have germinated too close to each other and i didnt thinned them out so they are short only 12"-16" in height, but those which are planted separately are now 30"-50" tall..

@ Umar: the maximum performance of petunias would be by March end inshaAllah..
Izhar bahi,Can i have seeds of Zinnias if you have them from its dead heads?and also of Dhalia?i did bought few years ago dhalia but didnt know how to save its eggs for further plantation.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

i have seeds as well as seedlings of zinnia also two rooted cuttings of dahlia.. contact me via PM
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Larkspurs which are too close to each other:

Larkspurs with some spacing:

Brugmansia:
Morina
City: Center

Post by Morina »

Sir Izhar, your Brugmansia with this dark green leaves is so amazing, how do you do this ? And do you know its name? And Larkspurs, what is their botanical name, please ? Delphinium or Aconitum ... ? The blue is so deep - very nice! Thank you for sharing.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

This brug is a seedling of Jinny Lind x Karoline, brugs dont like our summers and are prone to spider mites, this seedling will be 3 years old by this September, the brugs are heavy feeders and i feed my plant NPK 08:23:18 and epsom salt solution every 15 days, during the active growth time (which is from Nov till April) they readily accept fertilizers and produce lush green growth with multiple blooms.. the larkspurs are Consolida ambigua..
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Izhar....brother in arms then :-)
Do you plan to relocate some/all of your plants?.........I wonder what if my relocation is 1800 Km, even potted perennials will have to be left ...LOL
i think we should deliberate upon means, methods and process of mass plant relocation for consumption of members
Morina
City: Center

Post by Morina »

That is really a very nice seedling! Thank you for reply. The air in your summer must be too dry, therefore the spider mites, I think. What are you doing against them ? It seems you can give them a shower with few drops of wash liquid. Another way would be to plant carnivores, but perhaps it will not be humid enough for them in your area.
And your larkspurs (consolida ambigua) are considered to be annuals? I think I have them in my garden but not so beautiful as yours, because they are on the east side of my home. I'll survey them this summer, thank you for the name. :)
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Really very healthy Brug plant.very beautiful trumpets.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Amazing larkspurs Izhar bhai... electrifiying blue :) , but they are from the delphinium family do they survive our heat?

Return to “Green Thumb Izhar's Garden”