Brugmansia

One of our Finest Young Gardener From Karachi

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Brugmansia

Post by Izhar »

Its a seedling of named parents "Jinny Lind" and "Karoline"... very sweet and lemony kinda fragrance which starts from evening till morning:

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: Brugmansia

Post by khabbab »

How do they perform during monsoon. In lahore, i had lots of diseases in monsoon. Any variety which is good even in humid weather? Seems like i did not put much effort on this plant.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

It struggled during the heat with lots and lots of spider mites.. but enjoyed monsoon.. I have 3 other varieties ... two of which are local, they are on buds too... lets see how they perform during summers...
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

What's the size of flower izhar?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Izhar, The seeds You sent me, a few were sown in Sept. The germination was good but as you suggested many seedlings did not survive the winter, about eight which survived are now progressing well. A week ago I have planted the remaining seeds and hope to have many plants for the forum friends.
This one is very pretty, I hope you will gift me some of its seeds too.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Dear Sir, I have sent you the seeds of Daturas, this one is Brugmansia.. its a small tree of the same family..

Adnan, it is around 9-10" long and 4" wide approx.. it started greenish yellow and changed the color to pink...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Izhar wrote:Dear Sir, I have sent you the seeds of Daturas, this one is Brugmansia.. its a small tree of the same family..

Adnan, it is around 9-10" long and 4" wide approx.. it started greenish yellow and changed the color to pink...
Iwould love to have the plant. Did you grow it from seed or---?
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

I would love one too it's a beautiful plant
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
Izhar wrote:Dear Sir, I have sent you the seeds of Daturas, this one is Brugmansia.. its a small tree of the same family..

Iwould love to have the plant. Did you grow it from seed or---?

Although, it is a beautiful plant, my two cents of advice here would be to avoid growing it esp. those who have young children. This is a pretty toxic plant. As Izhar shb knows, all Daturas are toxic too.

Regards,
Farooq
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Yes I grew it from seed started in Feb 2010.. and I will trying my hands on cuttings in the monsoon.. I have recently successfully rooted a cutting from a different brugmansia plant..

These are poisonous plants for sure, they contain primary tropane like alkaloids including hyoscyamine, atropine, and scopolamine... the adverse effects include dry mouth and throat, eye pain, blurred vision, restlessness, dizziness, arrhythmia, flushing, and faintness. An overdose will cause headache, nausea, vomiting, and central nervous system symptoms including disorientation, hallucinations, euphoria, short-term memory loss, and possible coma in extreme cases.... these alkaloids are concentrated in fruits, seeds and flowers ..leaves and twigs have low concentration...

..but I think none of us place their ornamental plants in cuisines...

Return to “Green Thumb Izhar's Garden”