Re: My Liliums

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

This one is also fragrant.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:This one is also fragrant.
Correction, Highly fragrant, this morning I was sitting in the lawn down wind from it, I felt as if I was sitting in a bed of these.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

The sole Lilium bulb planted by me about 3 months back has finally bloomed, after much waiting & watching(with envy) a series of wonderful pictures from Brig Arif. It is the blossom of my first effort. Here it is:

Day before yesterday - One flower
IMG00056.jpg
IMG00056.jpg (31.37 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
Today - Two flowers
IMG00067.jpg
IMG00067.jpg (30.17 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
Earlier, Brig Arif had mentioned somewhere that the bulb should be planted 6" deep.I had planted it only one bulb size, ie,1.5"-2'' deep,as a thumb rule & the plant is now about 19"-20" tall & looks strong enough to support the weight of the flower.Wouldn't 6" depth thus be rather excessive? Kindly review.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

In a pot a two inch deep is good enough, Brig. ARIF mentioned about ground, the more deep a bulb is the more it is protected from environment influence of hot or cold. It helps bulb to retain moisture and provides support as well.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Lillium bulbs are planted 6 inch deep and slightly inclined.
Reason;
The plant has two type’s roots, roots from the base plate of the bulb and roots from the stem, essentially providing for the plant above the ground.
I have three bulbs in each14 inch pot and plants are 2-3 feet tall.
It is planted inclined so that when dormant in rainy season the water is not trapped between the scales.
All bulbs that I planted in the ground are lost, the ones in pots appear to be OK I hope they will bloom this spring.
Pity there is only one importer who imports a limited varieties with the result every one across Pakistan have the same plants.

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Brig Arif, kindly clarify the following,in view of the last 2 posts :
_ Even in pots, should the bulbs be planted at 6" depth? Then,how early should they be grounded to cater for more depth?
_ You said the bulbs in the ground are lost. Possible reasons? You meant to recommend not planting them in the ground?
_ You expect them to bloom again in spring.Do they flower twice or they are different from those with flowers now ?
_ I got mine from Islamabad,who had only mixed colours & sold for probably Rs.350. How are they available in Lahore;in separate colours & price?
irfan.siddique
City: Lahore

Post by irfan.siddique »

After a long long wait. got firdt bloom..

Can we get 2nd bloom?
Attachments
lil 1.jpg
lil 3.jpg
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

I will be planting lilium bulbs in the pots only.
They have a long dormant period and in the ground you lose their track, secondly the beds are regularly watered for other plants so they are occasionally over watered, most of them will rot during Monson.
In my experience 14 inch pot is minimum 6 inches for the lower roots and 6 inches for the upper roots.
Bulbs were being sold for 80-90 Rs. But I managed to get them for Rs, 60/ bulb.
At this price I can use them as annuals, but I am sure I will be able to save them for coming years,
The bulbs offered every year are forced bulbs prepared for X-Mas bloom, the normal (natural) time to bloom is Spring. I don’t expect these bulbs to bloom again this spring but may be the next spring if they survive,
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

AOA, I think my last years Lilium bulbs are sprouting, if they bloom; it will open another section in my garden.

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”