The Jungle

Our Most experienced and seasoned Gardener shares his Blooms

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: The Jungle

Post by Izhar »

Sir, by 17:17:17 NPK, I was pointing out the easily available granular fertilizer from Engro zarkhaiz.

I must admit that this topic needs extensive discussion, as the mixing different plant varieties together and treating them equally will not get the desired results, for example any plant in the Fabaceae (or Leguminosae) family is able to fix the atmospheric nitrogen and use it through symbiotic bacteria. These bacteria, known as rhizobia, have the ability to take nitrogen gas (N2) out of the air and convert it to a form of nitrogen that is usable to the host plant (NO3- or NH3 ) .... so if these plants are fed with additional Nitrogen (especially the readily available water soluble one) , they tend to respond with lush green growth and least flowering...

However, to be on safe side.. slow release of fertilizers is a better option, that is why I insisted on adding more organic matter in the soil as they degrade with time and release the nutrients comparatively slowly... due to this very reason the water soluble are not leeched or dissolved down into unreachable depths for annuals... the complex physico-chemical structure of the manure & compost tend to adsorb (not absorb) the nutrients on itself and they are not released unless that structure is broke down by the soil bacteria...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Izhar the topic is bewildering. Searching for fertilisers for Daylilies various sites recommended; 10-10-10, 5-10-10, 10-20-30, 8-10-8, 6-2-12. Reading between the lines and what I have gathered is, More N during growing season, gradually increasing P to its max just before flowering
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

my drawn conclusion: P at initial phase to promote root development, N after establishment to promote healthy shoot growth.. then K for better blooms and colors....
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Basicaly correct.

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”