Our Most experienced and seasoned Gardener shares his Blooms

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

What I am growing and why?

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Hello every one,

Way back up north Abbot Abad a farmer was preparing his field for wheat, there was a heap of Nargis bulbs that he had cleared from his field. I brought two sacks and planted them at home (here).
Later in 1990 when I shifted here permanently I also started growing Tube Roses. Those days my garden area was occupied by Nargis, Tube rose, Gul a daudy and 14 varieties of Tropical Hibiscus. Later I started collecting bulbs, corms and tubers.
I realised that I wasting my space for Nargis and Tube roses as these blooms are freely and cheaply available, so the bags of them were gifted to a nursery?
Gul a Daudy was charming but I found that most time of my Mali was spent on it throughout the year, so I discarded all except a few small flowered ones that do not require staking.
I tried every bulb, corm and tuber, out of them only Hippeastrum, Freesia, Glad and Dahlia took to my fancy.
I discarded Glads as I could not save the corms. I kept freesias for a long time and finally gave up as I did not like the way they fell down when in bloom (depth planting and other methods to keep them erect failed).
The Hibiscus had to go as the bushes were occupying lot of space.
I got so much involved in Hippeastrum that they were all over except my bed room.
Three years ago a Hippeastrum forum friend who also grows Day lilies injected me with Day lily Virus.
To make a place for Day Lilies the hippies had to go to roof top in pots and some to my other Garden at Thokar. I do have some other bulbs, corms and tubers but only one or two pots of each.
In addition to above I have been collecting ornamental/flowering trees, shrubs, bushes and vines and sticking them where ever I can find a place for them.
There are thousands of plants but I will and am trying to grow only those which are HAPPY in Lahore (no special care plants for me).
Landscaping and permanent plants are now my Interest and annuals to fill in the blanks
Four years ago I started developing a Garden of public interest at Thokar Niaz Baig Lahore, where people from area around come and enjoy mostly in the evening. Here I have enough space to plant whatever I like.
The beds of portulaca and mesembry were worth seeing but I won’t be planting them anymore, when they are at their best there is no one to admire them. Light coloured flowers especially white put up best show in the evening and at night so all those best in the evening will replace the morning bloomers.
I am planning to grow Glads and Freesias again this year.
Arif
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: What I am growing and why?

Post by Tahir Khan »

Nice journey Sir, but the joy of growing your own flowers even if they are available cheaply as cut flower like Nargis and tube roses is something else :) . My interests are also expanding..but my job and limited space for growing diverse plants will be a cruel hurdle...that i wish one day will be gone and i will have all the time in the world to grow whatever i want. i will try all types of plants i get my hands on, even if they are not accustomed to our environment but will give up on them if they don't show a positive response. I will try Daffodils for the last time this year with the chilling method :) For cacti and succulents...They are my first love, i will never let them go. :mrgreen:
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

listening to the journey of yours I am planing to have daylilies and Hippeastrum also.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

You had a long journey, but if i was to ask you....you have one small excursion to make with less given time what would you do( in terms of plantation)?
Hindukush Trails
City: Chitral

Post by Hindukush Trails »

1990 to 2013 you have just crossed the lucky number sir. With more space at Thokar N B how about growing some of those lovely graceful trees. Surely generations to follow will enjoy that.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Hindukush Trails wrote:1990 to 2013 you have just crossed the lucky number sir. With more space at Thokar N B how about growing some of those lovely graceful trees. Surely generations to follow will enjoy that.
Trees I am growing, the current list;

Fruit trees
Banana, Grape fruit, Imli, Jaman, Leeche, Lemons, Mango,Mulberry, Oranges, Papaya.

Ornamental trees
Alexander Palms, Fish tail Palms, Fox tail Palm
Butea, Bottle brush, Brachichiton, Chorisia, Casia fistula (Ammaltas), Casis fistula X Bakariana, Casia-Nadosa, Casia Grandis, Casia Javanica, Casia glata, Michellia Champaca, Royal Paulownia, Straculia, Tabebuia carabia (yellow & white), Tabebuia Serratifolia (pink & yellow), Tulip tree and Terminalia.
Some of them bloomed last year and I expect some more to join them this year.
Arif
Hindukush Trails
City: Chitral

Post by Hindukush Trails »

That is a impressive collection Sir , some rarely seen. Would love to visit some day.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Hindukush Trails wrote:That is a impressive collection Sir , some rarely seen. Would love to visit some day.
You are welcome
Arif
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Today I destroyed about 80 cocks comb plants that my mali had planted in pots during my absence I just don't like the plant.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”