Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

What have you to say.
Arif
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: What is wrong with these Amaryllis flowers

Post by Izhar »

Small Earwigs, thrips, beetles even virus can be cause...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Izhar wrote:Small Earwigs, thrips, beetles even virus can be cause...
Cause of what?
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

for me they are healthy and beautiful brig sb...honestly speaking i am unable to find any disease or fault :!: ...they are soooo beautiful... :mrgreen:
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Fault is there; look for it.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Even if there is a fault ( i cannot find :oops: ) , those looking pretty nice. :)
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Fault is there and seems to be the work of Amaryllis worm. Attached pictures of the worm taken from below url.
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=1884&start=20

This was also pinpointed by Mr. Heinie in quotes below.
"The Amaryllis worm is the number one destroyer of any plant from the Amaryllidaceae family. They get into the top and bottom skins of the plant and eat very fast towards the crown of the plant. Once they get into the crown the plant had it and you can throw it away. When you see them early you can squash them in the leaf between your thumb and forefinger. The eggs are laid on the underside of the leaf. The egg is small light green and looks like a small droplet."
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=2660&p=24766&hili ... orm#p24766

More in quotes by Mr. Heinie.
"The Amaryllis worm is very active here during Spring and Summer therefore it means from September through to February. They are very happy to destroy the softer leaf plants like Clivia, Crinum, Agapanthus, Arum Lilies and Hippeastrum.
This is another worm we have to be on the lookout for here in the same warm months. The Hawk Moth also lay the eggs on the underside of the leaves at night and a tiny half millimeter worm grows to a 20mm thick worm in a matter of 2 to 3 days. They destroy a plant even faster than the Amaryllis worm. See the Arum Lily plant destroyed in two days by three worms. I squished the third one befor the photos."
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=2660&hilit=amaryl ... m&start=10
Attachments
cliviaassassins.jpg
the culprit
the culprit
m_004.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Flower edges effected by the worm shown above.
Flower edges effected by the worm shown above.
m_001.jpg (25.63 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

What i see is the "White blotch" on each bloom Brig. sb. shared...
Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

Sir
Yes i can see some small white spots on the petals. Have you seen same spots on the other flowers of same plants? And........ if you are not satisfied with the health these ........ want to throw them out.......... just let me inform the place/corner/drum..........lols
Kaleem
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Brig Sahib has posed a very challenging question which can baffle even the experts.

Below are 4 possible scenarios.

1.Broken colours in flowers principally indicate genetic instability. Probably i suspect these were result of cross ing different varieties. In bearded irises 'Broken colours' were first identified and hybridized successfully to create tie-die irises like "Batik" a significant breakthrough in 1985.

2. Humidity sometimes can also takes it toll on flower appearance. Cultivar genes which are stable/stronger can withstand humidity better and exhibit same blooms without variations. Varieties having weaker genes exhibit broken colour or variations and this case would become become stronger if these broken colour variations/spots shown by Brig Sahib's flowers appear once in while and are not appearing on a consistent basis.

3. Small Earwigs, thrips, beetles suggested by Izhar.

4. Virus suggested by Izhar. This argument would stand refuted if these colour variations are NOT appearing on a consistent basis. If a plant is virused then these colour variations would should ought to appear on a consistent basis the following year.

Conclusion
Personally i feel these variations are a combined effect of reasons 1 & 2 outlined above (genetic instability & humidity factor). This reason would have a stronger merit if these colour variations are a once in a while rare occurrence and are NOT appearing on a regular basis.

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”