What is wrong with these Amaryllis flowers

Our Most experienced and seasoned Gardener shares his Blooms

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: What is wrong with these Amaryllis flowers

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

The fault is colour break, more prominent in solid colours.

Some friends in USA think it is due to a virus, I have my doubts. If it was due to virus then it should be consistent which is not so. Last year more bulbs in a particular bed had it, let us see how this bed behaves this spring.
What other factor could be responsible for it? make some wild guess.
Arif
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Brig. sb. here is a link regarding viruses in bulbous plants.. kindly let us know if this helps in identifying this discoloration issue...
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

1.Broken colours in flowers principally indicate genetic instability. Probably i suspect these were result of crossing different varieties.

2. Humidity sometimes can also takes it toll on flower appearance. Cultivar genes which are stable/stronger can withstand humidity better and exhibit same blooms without variations. Varieties having weaker genes exhibit broken colour or variations.

If its virus then these colour breaks or variations should be appear on a consistent basis which is not the case.

My contention is that these colour breaks occurred due to combined effect of reasons 1 and 2 mentioned above (Genetic instability & humidity/temperature).
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Brigd sb the point of virus is valid.This tech is used to get multi colored Tulip hybrids.Its also called color breaking in Tulips.You may check this on Google because i have studied this long time ago.You may get your answer in Tulip color breaking virus.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Brig Sb.

Lets give these varieties a name as well...... what about "Amarylllis Exotic Virals " or "Royal Breaks" or " Color splash " etc etc. :)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

There was time when I liked them and called them Patchy red and so on.
Even now I do not care.
Arif
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Brig Sahib my contention for the coloured streaks were.

1.Broken colours in flowers principally indicate genetic instability.

2. Humidity sometimes can also takes it toll on flower appearance. Cultivar genes which are stable/stronger can withstand humidity better and exhibit same blooms without variations. Varieties having weaker genes exhibit broken colour or variations.

If its virus then these colour breaks or variations should be appear on a consistent basis which is not the case.

My contention is that these colour breaks occurred due to combined effect of reasons 1 and 2 mentioned above (Genetic instability & humidity/temperature).

A few days ago i came across an article published in "Gardener World Magazine" in which an expert was asked as to why a flower may change it's colour. His rational was

"When flowers suddenly change colours, there are two probably causes. Perhaps you have tow plants in the same pot? One will dominate first and bloom in one colour, to then be overtaken by the other.
Sometimes one dies off, in which case, it looks as though the plant literally changed colour.
The more likelier explanation is that it has undergone mutation which are random genetic changes within the plant, sometimes triggered by high or low temperatures. Suddenly, part of of the plant will produce a flower of different colour."
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Brig Sahib my contention for the coloured streaks were.

A few days ago i came across an article published in "Gardener World Magazine" in which an expert was asked as to why a flower may change it's colour. His rational was

"When flowers suddenly change colours, there are two probably causes. Perhaps you have tow plants in the same pot? One will dominate first and bloom in one colour, to then be overtaken by the other.
Sometimes one dies off, in which case, it looks as though the plant literally changed colour.
The more likelier explanation is that it has undergone mutation which are random genetic changes within the plant, sometimes triggered by high or low temperatures. Suddenly, part of of the plant will produce a flower of different colour."
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Brig Sahib my contention for the coloured streaks rested on reasons outlined below

If its virus then these colour breaks or variations should be appear on a consistent basis which is NOT the case.

Thus these colour breaks occurred more likely due to combined effect of reasons 1 and 2 mentioned above (Genetic instability & humidity/temperature).

"When flowers suddenly change colours, there are two probably causes. Perhaps you have two plants in the same pot? One will dominate first and bloom in one colour, to then be overtaken by the other.

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Time will tell.

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”