Lilium 2015/16

Our Most experienced and seasoned Gardener shares his Blooms

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Lilium 2015/16

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

"If I plant a Lilium bulb of X weight and get from this >X weight bulb or bulbs after the cultivation in one cycle/season its mean I am successful" :D ( Asim)
And if the bulbs are <X it may be due to:
Lack of nutrition, lack of sun or short growing period, perhaps over fertilisation and off season planting may also contribute to reducing the bulb size.
asimPK
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Plants and flowers

Post by asimPK »

ok
Lack of nutrition and over fertilization can be managed as imported bulbs are successful in Lahore at first year.
Lack of sun or short growing period, and off season planting can be assessed. We first need to understand basic liliums.
There are three main types of lilies: Asiatic, Oriental and Trumpet (also known as Longiflorum), as well as two groups which are hybrids of the main ones – LA Hybrids, which are hybrids of Longiflorum and Asiatic lilies, and OT hybrids, which are hybrids of Oriental and Trumpet lilies. All have slightly different appearances and qualities.
The standards are:
1-Trumpet Lilies (Longiflorum lilies) flower approximately 100-120 days after planting. (Purebred Trumpets, USDA zone 7-10)
2-Asiatc Lilies are easy to grow - Quick to flower after planting, around 90-105 days . (USDA 1-9, Scented Asiatics zone 3-10)
3-LA Hybrid Lilies (asiatic and trumpet cross) flower approximately 70-85 days after planting. (UDSA zone 7-10 )
4-Oriental and OT Hybrid Lilies take longer to grow and flower, up to 120-135 days. (USDA zone 6-9 )

Note: Liliums in USDA zone 9 and 10 not thrived without artificial chilling/refrigeration.
How plan the scheduled ? I planed schedule 120 days for Orientals which are problematic to bulb develop over temperature 30C. (USDA zone-9 i.e Lilium Star gazer)
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

Lilium Planning at Lahore
Attachments
lahore-climate-graph.gif
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

The first to bloom,

Bulb size 1 inch,planted on 25/10/15 in 10 inch pot, single good size flower.

Arif
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

Lovely one, should be Asiatic Pavia (LA).
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

asimPK wrote:Lovely one, should be Asiatic Pavia (LA).
Why not Gironde ?
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Does LA hybird give less buds per stems? From the pictures above, it seems not more than 3 buds maximum per plant. Or it is entirely up to the cultivar?

My lilium not flowered yet but it has 5 buds on a stem (probably oriental lily). Is there anyway to increase the bud count after you buy the bulb?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

Arif Sb.
I couldn't assess into picture as you better know the source of bulb, Gironde is Asiatic with long leafs (max USDA-9) and LA hybrids have short and wide leafs (Max USDA-10).
In my both lilium study and practical experience, number of flower buds are based on the size of bulb and
-chilling days count reduce the bud count gradually,
-responsible for early flowering/ short life cycle,
-reduces number of leafs and short leaf lengths,
-long inter-nodes happens,
-responsible to re-emerge the bulb (second bloom).
So you must lost approx. 50% bud count in case of chilling it i.e. Fab vs May.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Asim lets talk about our personal experience only and not what we find on internet.
Khabbab personally I feel it is the size of the bulb and care it gets after planting.
BY THE END OF THE SEASON I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SAY MORE as I have planted different size bulbs.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Bulbs from last year, The bigger bulbs had more buds, up to 14.

I hope you enjoyed them
Arif

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”