Our Most experienced and seasoned Gardener shares his Blooms

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

A tired/retired Gardener

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Assalam o alaikam
It is a nice bright day with greenery all around and nothing much to do in the garden.
When I started gardening in earnest after retirement from the service, about 26 years ago, I became a COLLECTOR.
As a first step I bought books on gardening and flowers and I started collecting whatever I liked in the books.
It took me some time to realise that what was presented in the books was the plants grown in their ideal environment, which I could not provide.
I gave up many, but remained obsessed with others which to mind, I should be able to grow well but was not.
As the time passed, I learnt a lot about the general and specific individual requirement of plants I liked to grow.
I reconciled that an amature natural environment gardener should only grow what he can easily manage.
I also learnt that in addition to the macro environment, there is a micro environment in each garden (full sun, partial shifting shade, morning sun only, midday, evening or combination,shade having bright light and dark shade, windy/non windy,high/low humidity areas), plant your plants giving them the best micro environment you can.
Now the old man is a tired/retired gardener, I take an early (before sunrise) round of my garden, assess all that is required to be done, sit in my garden chair and have all jobs executed by my helper (substitute of a batman) my handy man who looks after all my personal needs.
Now I ask myself, do I need this plant or can it be replaced by another plant having better utility and so have discarded many I also have it plants and gifts I accepted out of modesty.

For example, it took me a long time to grow Gardenia Florida to my satisfaction, but now I am thinking of removing all except one and replace them with dwarf Merva,YOU TELL ME THE REASON WHY?

Arif
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: A tired/retired Gardener

Post by Izhar »

If you need fragrance in air with an evergreen small plant... then dwarf marva is the best choice... it loves our soil and weather with no special demands...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Izhar wrote:If you need fragrance in air with an evergreen small plant... then dwarf marva is the best choice... it loves our soil and weather with no special demands...
Yes the fragrance in the air, multiple blooming and manageable size,does well even in a pot.
Umair
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Post by Umair »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
Izhar wrote:If you need fragrance in air with an evergreen small plant... then dwarf marva is the best choice... it loves our soil and weather with no special demands...
Yes the fragrance in the air, multiple blooming and manageable size,does well even in a pot.
Aoa.
More than that Marva doesn't require extra treatment to bloom and stay healthy like Gardenia's require. Leading to hassle free gardening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Gardenias have a wonderful fragrance, but do not fill the air like Murva, more over it blooms only once a year for a short time.
So if you want beauty go for Gardenia but for fragrance Murva is your plant.
Umair

Post by Umair »

Exactli. Thats y i am trying to air layer Dwarf Marva this year :-)

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using Tapatalk
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: A tired/retired Gardener (oldest companion)

Year 1949, first week of August, Saw the bed of these beauties blooming in Commissioner house civil lines Rawalpindi. A foolish,shy young boy as I was, instead of requesting, I chose to steal them and I have enjoyed their blooms ever since,
The retired gardener now has given away all and kept only a few.
Companions of last 67 years.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: A tired/retired Gardener (current blooms)

It is a transition time, but still there are some to keep my interest.

More to come.
Umair

Post by Umair »

Aoa. Sir Arif plz specify this plants details

Name
Seasonal/ Perenial
Flowers in which condition Sun/ Semi Shade / Full Shade
Water Requirement
Colors Availble

Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Name, Ruellia,
Parenial, Easy to grow, loves sun, moderate water, has a long blooming period, I have three colours only, have not seen any other colour, easily propagated from cuttings.
A plant for a retired gardener.

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”