Blooms of today

Our Most experienced and seasoned Gardener shares his Blooms

Moderator: Izhar

UMAR KHAN

Re: Blooms of today

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Cyclamen are really one of the best flowers.what is blooming age of Budha.i want to purchase it.its a nice flower.i have never grown it.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Brigd sb if you have any friend at Muree of Abbottabad send the Cyclamen there for summer storage.it hurts when so much beautiful plant dies just because of our summers.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I searched the web for information about Cyclamen.
They are being grown in zone 10-11, so, why not in Lahore.
They are completely dormant in summer (tubers will rot in rainy season).
Slightly alkaline free draining medium is preferable.
Keep in dappled shade under high trees or light shade.
Useful site,
http://www.cyclamen.org/cultiv.htm
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Yes they are dormant in summer Brigd sb but i don,t know why they do not flower next year.if you want to try import seeds from abroad there are many colors.they usually bloom in the 3rd year.one thing i like is Peony.i have seen the bowl of beauty on PMA rd Abbottabad.but i wonder if it grows in our climate.Brigd what do you think about Peony.Brigd sb you are encouraging me once again i,l try Cyclamen here again.there a friend of mine in Abbottabad who grows it every year & lot of cyclamens.i think i must visit him these days.
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin
City: Karachi

Post by mirafzalkhan »

There are approximately 23 species of cyclamen, some species are hardy and some are tropical & tender, but for cyclamen both day & night temperatures are critical. According to Syngenta:
After transplant, maintain cool days, with 18°C nights. Once rooted to the sides, drop nights to 17°C to help facilitate flowering. When roots reach bottom of pot, reduce night temperature further to 14° – 16°C to keep the crop compact the last month of finishing. Hold finished crops at 13° – 15°C nights, and cool days. Night temperatures above 17° – 18°C will decrease bud counts. Average day temperatures above 24° C will delay flower initiation.
For more reading download this pdf by Gold Smith Syngenta.
Cyclamen.pdf
If the temperature exceeds 25oC for longer time, it will kill the plant slowly.
USDA zones show the ability of a plant to withstand the minimum temperatures of the zone. The zones do not incorporate summer heat levels into the zone determination; thus sites which may have the same mean winter minima, but markedly different summer temperatures, will be accorded the same hardiness zone. AHS zones is another method to categorize the plants according to temperatures. The criterion is the average number of days per year when the temperature exceeds 30°C. AHS with addition of USDA zone gives a better idea for growing plants in our region, but unfortunately for most of the plants AHS zones are not easily available.
Cyclamen species & their USDA zones
Attachments
Cyclamen.jpg
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

your lilliums are amazing.

Cyclamins are difficult they need low temps as well as humidity, i killed two last year, now i give up. any success in this regard please share. i still have one bulb with me whcih i believe is dead as it never bloomed fully, it may not come again next year.
Attachments
Cyclamin.JPG
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Best bet is to buy some plants around 80 Rs, put them in semi shade. They will bloom. Next year buy again. I was able to make them bloom but could not save them for next year. Not growing them anymore.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Mine are now in fading stage, I will try to save them and see what happens. It is worth treating them as annuals.

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”