Our Most experienced and seasoned Gardener shares his Blooms

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: My Daylilies

Post by aykhan »

Fans from the same plant will be exactly the same. To get different plants by yourself you'll have to pollinate one daylily from another and wait for the seeds to form.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

aykhan wrote:Fans from the same plant will be exactly the same. To get different plants by yourself you'll have to pollinate one daylily from another and wait for the seeds to form.
I pollinated each flower maddly but very few pods are developing.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Brig saheb Daylilies are diploid or tetraploid. You cannot cross pollinate so diploids can inter pollinate with each other and tetraploids with tetraploids only. Also some Daylilies will be fertile both ways so can accept as well as give pollen and some will be one way. As you can see, to have a possible 100% success rate you'll have to know the name of your daylily then look up its particulars on the daylily database on the web. Daylilies which are good for parenting are often much much more expensive than those which are not even if the cheaper ones look better, this is because hybridizes will pay a pretty penny for it.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

I have been cross pollinating my dalilies for a month most of the buds that were developed dried out with a week for the others that did mature to more than an inch some them have to started to form black spots on one side and in one or two days they also fall off disheartened i have stop pollinating, now i am only left with 6-7 seed pods not knowing if they will produce seeds.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

aykhan wrote:Brig saheb Daylilies are diploid or tetraploid. You cannot cross pollinate so diploids can inter pollinate with each other and tetraploids with tetraploids only. Also some Daylilies will be fertile both ways so can accept as well as give pollen and some will be one way. As you can see, to have a possible 100% success rate you'll have to know the name of your daylily then look up its particulars on the daylily database on the web. Daylilies which are good for parenting are often much much more expensive than those which are not even if the cheaper ones look better, this is because hybridizes will pay a pretty penny for it.
In the absence of data, hit it with all you got and hope for the best.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Arif Sb how do you pollinate your daylilies ??
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

AhmadIrfan wrote:Arif Sb how do you pollinate your daylilies ??
I transfer pollen direct from stamen to stigma in early morning.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Sir i use an ear cleaning bud for collecting the pollen from the daylilies i bought from adnan and then transfer it to the stigma of all the other daylilies i have still no result any suggestions??
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Aoa
Daylilies show is coming to an end, it was a delightful show. Todays presentation.

Gift of Dr,Asad

A seedling

So long
Arif
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

What a beauty and that too from seed. Wonderful. I would love to grow some from seed. I saw the fans at Brig Sb's home, they were very thick and healthy.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”