EXPERIMENTING with CALLA Lilly (Zantedeschia)

Lovely Container gardening

Moderator: Izhar

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: EXPERIMENTING with CALLA Lilly (Zantedeschia)

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Hammad i usually used to purchase seeds from Ibraheem jee & sons, Abbottabad.They were the sole distributors of Nickerson Zwaan seeds, UK in Pakistan. I don,t know whether they are still importing it or not.
But Hamad you can seeds from Ball Seeds now. I used to grow F-1 Halios series.This series has the largest blooms & is not offered in nursries. Its better to purchase seeds in UK. Halios is the finest Cyclamen grown from seed.You can grow it at Abbottabad succefully. It takes three years to flower from seeds. With the passage of time the blooms get bigger & bigger.I usually called it Shazada phool ha ha ha.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

cool nice one Omer Bhai, Shahzada Pool I like this name :) :D :lol: , the seeds are easily available here and I have tried once before but failed and that was in Wah Cantt, I will try once again but in Abbottabad this time lets see...

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

In my above post please read " Calla Lily White Jaint" as " Calla Lily White Giant " , I sent that msg via my tablet and auto correction software create problems some times so I decided to read again before submitting the message.
Sorry
Kaleem
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Kaleem wrote:Ad an sb
Today I have followed your procedure, mixed one table spoon in two liter water and pour this mixture in Greengodess calla lily container and waiting for the result now. Actually I have grown this call from seed and seeds were received from Chille . When I was in muzafarabad, there this plant bloomed without any problem but here in Islamabad did not get any bloom yet. Here these are in dormancy period and in muzafarabad they need dormant.
I have one white jaint specie and his behavior is the same .

Dear Kaleem,

I have a PH testing kit, very easliy available here, i use it to verify the amount of PH goes down after watering so as to adjust the amount, presently iam feeding the vinegar at alternate waterings, i use to fill the pot full 2 or three times so as to drain the water from bottom as much as possible this will clean the roots, one tuber has produced some blooms recenlty, it is still at south facing window of my house.

If you need one PH kit i will bring for you on my next trip to PAK :)
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor

Post by Syed Adnan »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Adnan we can not grow Tulips, Tuberous Begonia, Cyclamen here in plains.To some extent we can not even grow the Giant decorative Dahlias. The fellow gardeners in hilly areas can grow all these.Some people bring Cyclamen & Dahlia from Murree but there is lack of perfection.I am saying this because i have grown T.Begonia,Cyclamen & Dahlia for many years at Abbottabad.The way they bloom there i cant get it in plains.
Yes Omar PAK weather specially plaines are not much supportive to these varieties i mentioned but as KBW lives in TORONTO he can grow i believe. :mrgreen:
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Once you have sown the seeds dont water from above.Place the pot in shallow water which will seppage itself to the pot.Once you see the soil is moist remove the pot from the shallow water so the soil should not get wet.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

any news Adnan?

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor

Post by Syed Adnan »

I got 4 to 5 blooms in Dec 2013, now the plants have foliage but no blooms. I am still not sure how these will behave in coming seasons here.
Attachments
DSC_1052.jpg
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

A plant I would love to have but have failed to grow.

Return to “Syed Adnan's Garden from Jubail”