UK to pakistan travel

Exchange of plants and seeds between members ONLY!!!!!!. No commercial selling/advertisements allowed. Contact Admin for business related posts.

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: UK to pakistan travel

Post by khabbab »

mikhurram wrote:
by khabbab » March 19th, 2014, 10:40 am

For dutch bulbs website, we will have to share as much as possible as they sell in large quantity and mr ifzal might not carry a lot of bulbs. I think following bulbs are good candidate:

- Gloriosa lily
- Rhodohypoxis
- Canna
- Oriental / Asiatic Lily (Experiment success by Brig Arif of Refrigeration)
- Dahlia
- Gladioli

Out of these only Gloriosa Lilly and Rhodohypoxis are worth ordering.

However most of Canna varieties can be found easily in Pakistan. Orientals/Asiatic Iilliums are easily available around Rs 60 each around September or October in seed shops and the current time is not suitable for ordering as by the time they arrive here they would require refrigeration till end of September. Mostly Lilliums can either be stored in refrigerators or ice chillers where ice is made from May till September. These commercial ice chillers charge around Rs 150 to 200 per crate. Kashmir or Indian Dahlia cuttings are easily available in our market including known varieties of Gladiolus.

Izhar, i have Canna Cleopatra. You can have it from me. At this stage the Cleopatra are in a mixed border and their ID would be known for sure when they flower.
I tried to find canna Cleopatra and Madame Angele Martin but could not find here, is it available somewhere in pakistan? Dahlia cuttings, we are never sure which color or style these cuttings will produce. Glads, I know pride seeds sold some named varieties of glads this season and i planted them too but choice of color combinations is limited, we are getting from abroad at same price that is 20Rs per corm. But yes we should buy those bulb which are not easily available in pakistan.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Just woke up :D

I have a lot of rarities in mind let me share the list till tomorrow as i am busy right now in the office :mrgreen:
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

When is the last date we can post our wishlist? When will Mr Ifzal leave for Pakistan?
Lahore gardening blog
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Here is my wishlist:

Amarcrium Howardii

Amarine tubergenii 'Zwanenburg'

Galtonia candicans

Ismene festalis

Polianthes tuberosa The Pearl

Rhodohypoxis baurii (Seperate colours to ensure even balance)

Sprekelia formosissima (Jacobean Lily)

Eucomis bicolour

Though it depends on how many people pitch in because these are available for bulk sale and how much bulbs Ifzal sb can carry in his baggage.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

Just to give an overview of of progress so far, lets hope more members participate:

Ismene festalis, i got lots of bulbs, tahir you can take from me. Sprekelia was available last year at pride and i got a bulb but no offsets yet, i think other forum members might have this bulb. Eucomis is grown by Dr Amir and he might advise regarding how good it grows in our climate.
Lahore gardening blog
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I am too in for Polianthes tuberosa The Pearl.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

I personally feel that the list is too big and would cause inconvenience to Ifzal sahib as the size in kg would be atleast 10 kg. We should be considerate that if he has offered to carry the bulbs the size in kg should be minimized as the bag per limit per passenger travelling from UK is only 30 kg. I am sure there would be other items he would be carry for his friends or relatives based in Pakistan. So let no overburden him with the wishlist. Unless of course Mr. Ifzal has ample space.

There are some items which are easily available or do not do well here in Pakistan and can be easily omitted from the list.
e.g. Asiatic lillium is easily available around October here in Pakistan at Rs 60 each. Plus by the time they reach Pakistan in April they would need to be chilled in a refrigerator from end of April till end of September. Thus no use ordering them and might as well buy them in October here at local seed shops.

Season for Rananculus has already passed plus its easily available in seeds shops in autumn and the best blooms are obtained from those grown from seeds.

Zantedeschia flame or Calla lily is a fussy plant and does not thrive here in Lahore or Islamabad. It flowers for a season and then skips the following season or two and often seed shops such as Pride import Calla lily from NZ or Thailand. Personally i would recommend growing it as it's not suitable for Lahore, Islamabad or Karachi. Thus refrain.

Eucomis is a fussy bulb. I have three mature bulbs atleast 5 year old which have never thrived and more ideally suited for cold climate zones such as Mardan, Swat etc.

Izhar & Rafique you may obtain Canna Cleopatra from me. I am currently growing them in a bed.

Though Water based Dahlia is not easily available here in Pakistan but by the time they reach here the season would be over and they are unlikely to survive even if stored in a well ventilated room. The major problem is the humidity / moisture especially during the months of monsoon which are very fatal for Dahlia problem. Hence they are unlikely to survive unless taken to Muree for plantation immediately. I have gone through a similar experience.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

PLEASE ADD ME IN FOR THESE IF POSSIBLE.
Sprekelia formosissima
galtonia candicans
glorisioa rothsildiana
Rhodohypoxis baurii mix
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

I would suggest we go for those bulbs for which there are at least 3 members sharing the same packet. That way package will remain small and less expensive.

Lahore gardening blog
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

All mentioned here are bulbs. If any one interested in sedds, I would also like to add my demand as I personally think bulbs would be heavy for Mr. Afzal as compared to seeds.

Return to “Exchange Plants/Seeds”