Summer 2013

A Master Gardener and a Rosarian from Marden/Islamabad

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Summer 2013

Post by Munir »

Umar Sb, you must have noticed two different forms of Amaltas tree during Blossom period; while one type is fully covered with flowers & almost neglegible leaves(like yours in the pics here) , in the other case there are lesser flowers & much greater ratio of leaves,like one I have with hardly 15% flowers( couldn't find a pic to post).I have seen many of each category elsewhere. Are they two different varieties or it is related to the age of the tree or some other factor?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Munir sb Amaltas is really Cassia Fistula.With age the tree gain more blooming power.Its age factor.This factor also plays great role in Cassia Nodosa.Nadosa will flower after four years if its a grafted plant.Young plant will not flower.
I am looking for Cassia Marginata & Cassia Grandis.May be i import it from over seas.You can get information about this family on top tropicals.com
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

What a stunning amaltas. After Lahura, amaltas is my favorite native tree and in my view, very few trees can match the grandeur of amaltas. Lahura is an exception. Thanks for sharing such stunning pics Umar sahib. :)
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Umar Sb:
. My amaltas tree now about 17-18 ft is around 4 years old; when should I expect to see it bloom like yours or about ?
. I tried planting a Cassia Nadosa also,some years back, but it did not survive probably due to exposure of roots during shifting to ground.I again want to try; do you recommend this or some other plant like Lahura now mentioned by KBW, in the earmarked space. Any particular nursery would you advise, as some are not careful about its grafting?

KBW Sb:
. I tried to Google search the images of Lahura tree, but found very few-that too different from each other.Can you please help by mentioning the reference or exact image of the tree you were talking about? Frankly,I had not heard/read about it earlier. By any chance,do you mean this-resembling one of the Google images:
20130723_100733.jpg
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Beautiful Khan sahib. I too love Cassias and have acquired various Cassia seeds which I still have not received despite almost a month. Currently I have Cassia roxburghii and Cassia leptophylla growing from seed. I am looking to buy a bigger Cassia javanica and Cassia nodosa since it is commonly available here. The seeds I am waiting on are Cassia brewsteri, Cassia marginata, Cassia grandis and Cassia renigra. I am trying to find seeds for Cassia bakeriana, Cassia x nealiae and Cassia spectabilis.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Munir sb the small tree with yellow flowers is Tecoma.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Dr sb please do inform me if you get Cassia marginta & Grandis seeds.i love these two varities.Yes you can get Cassia Nodosa grafted plant some 8 ft high for round about Rs 10,000.Dr Sb Cassia Nodosa x Fistula hybrid is also very nice.Cassias are good substitute to free flowering mignolias in our climate.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Khan Saheb just today I received Cassia grandis seeds. I can spare 3 so please PM me your address and I will mail them out Monday insha'Allah.

Khan why grafted tree? I know it will flower early but as the tree grows the graft might be unsightly. Are non grafted available? Which is a reliable nursery?
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Also will the grafted Cassia flower in large pot and if so what size pot?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

KBW wrote:What a stunning amaltas. After Lahura, amaltas is my favorite native tree and in my view, very few trees can match the grandeur of amaltas. Lahura is an exception. Thanks for sharing such stunning pics Umar sahib. :)
Lahura I know not, please elucidate.
Arif

Return to “Umar Khan's Garden”