Garden Log 2014-15

A Novice's Journey of Gardening

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Garden Log 2014-15

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thankyou Khabbab, Mustansir and Imran Sb.
@ Imran....not in rawalpindi. It would however behave as perennial in colder climates such as Murree.
@ Sir Arif....i will save you the botheration of selecting annuals for next season and send my recommendations (F-1 from T & M so that you are sure what will come out) and also suggest suitable growing procedure.....keeping in view pot culture/limited space and flower power.

Izhar. Dianthus was available this season in limited quantity in one of Islo nursery (Green Peace).

Geraniums behave as perennial if protected from fungus attacks (meaningby some shade and protection from monsoon). They perform better in pots. Calendula is part of T & M orange collection. I believe trying such collection is awesome. Except morning glory which was out of season all plants (20+) grew and performed very well. I will try to save seeds
Pest are many if one has open allotment and ofcourse larger space. Extensive observation is essential. First pest to fend against in fall are slugs and snails. I use manual method after sunset. This reduces their number, then they hibernate due frost and when spring arrives there number is lesser to do any considerable damage, however they regrow their numbers in monsoon.
Second are animals such as cats and rats.
Early Spring aphids are first to arrive and can be detected easily and dispatched through jet wash, similarly thripes on roses are common but are easy to remove.
Then comes the season of leaf miner. Nothing much can be done....except removing the affected foliage. they pose no life threatening danger to plants. Plants such as nasturitums attract leaf miners and caterpillar, they by other plants are largely spared. and nasturitums do not mind removal of affected plants. This is followed by caterpillars. Most can be identified underneath large leaves such as nasturitums in egg stage if good observation is maintained. later in late spring pest do become out of control but it is about the time that garden is already on a declining note so i let them be...
Some other pests are termites and grubs. Grubs are troublesome in fall and damage seedlings. Digging soil around a damaged seedling help eradicating them. Termites become in early summer.....deep watering keeps them at bay.
Fungus is the main issue because of which i have been leaving the summer season dry (minimal plantation).
Open garden also means friendly insects such as lady bugs, lace wings (attracted large numbers this season through chamomile). Birds are also a great aid in limiting caterpillars, similarly spiders, hornets, frogs and lizards.
a complete eco system is maintained. I use minimal pesticide and rely on timely detection and washing. Keeping the garden very very clean also helps reduce pest.

Lastly i must reiterate that its only the end of the season that pest become uncontrollable to an extent because of increased workload and immense growth(lesser visibility of all plants/plant parts).....but its time when insect control becomes meaningless..

Huge lilium flower, atleast 7 inches across
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

This is lovely. And no doubt it is very huge. Is it from T&M.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

No :-) its a local purchase
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Its been fortnight that i have stopped gardening activity in person. Help has been sought but what a useless help it is. Reasons are rains, immense workload and even greatly something impending.....Garden flows as it desires ....shaped by winds, hail storms and pests. My frequent visits to the garden are meant only to capture the fleeting glimpses both of Spring and my allotment....What a wonderful journey it has been. Seldom people would re-tread the past, But not me, i would walk time and again what i have been through......

The pictures represent evolution of the garden in last 2 weeks. Haphazardness prevails, but i believe still worthy enough..after all that is the beauty of the landscaping..it hides flaws....

My advice would be...

" If you are afraid to stand back and capture how your work looks like, thing again you are not gardening right".

Eagerly waiting for leftovers to bloom if they have to......

As it evolves

11th April

Three days after

Couple of day later an afternoon visit

Today before hailstorm

A view with which my mornings start with

Entrance that was to My place of solace...

Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Roses.....an inclination towards perennials?...The inevitable....Yes we grow old and busy, but we always wanted to be young and sturdy....Fragile Youth, fragile annuals

Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Joy was founded at unusual places........
Clarkia
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Do i love Delphiniums. Yes i Do, I do..Fountain Series
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:Image
Please mention ita name. It's so lovely and pure. If you can grow such type of flowers in Risalpur, it give me hope that I can also try. :roll: And please don't miss me next time in group purchase.

Return to “Farhan Ahmed's Cottage Garden”