Re: Re·nas·cence

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Love 'em

Sent from TBA iPhone using Tapatalk
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Wonderful. How fragrant is the "Haseen" rose ?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Fantastic,
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@khabbab....mild fragrance

The rose adventure continues.....the aim is to procure(newly grafted roses), plant and then assess successful rose growing in climate of Punjabs plain areas. I would present an outcome if possible, at the end of the season.

Procurement
I have collected around 140 roses bushes through various sources. there is no iota of doubt that best roses i.e. famous cultivars can only/mostly be sourced out from Changa alone. Haji Sb is a true rose lover and hybridizer. His plants are not distributed to other nurseries as a business venture. He boosts around 500 varieties. He is very touch about his roses and ensures his presence all the time. Mostly rose variety available with other nurseries is infact a lift from Changa.

Dr nursery, thekedar (pattoki) and other nurseries in Islo etc have limited range. They are the common hardy ones and they have little or no knowledge of the nomenclature.

Mostly roses available in ordinary nurseries have the same characteristic.....unknown, lesser quality cultivars...mostly meaningby you still can find some good ones....

Right Time
though it is claimed that roses can be planted starting mid November to as late as March but i would tend to disagree.....keeping in view hibernation period i believe that correct time to plant roses is from 15 December to 15 Jan. Any later, and they won't have established and fail and a gardener would think there is something wrong with him or the plant.

Identification
Here i would like to say that A rose without a name loses half its value.
Only true source of idying is the original vendor. You can be certain through how sure the vendor is and obviously compare name vs image on the internet for verification. Rose Id i have found to be extremely difficult due to variation in blooms and so many similar/look alike cultivars. Always keep your roses tagged. compare your blooms with id images through various times of the season for confirmation

Planting
After procurement this was the second step in the rose venture....and i am glad that none of procures failed, though some appeared struggling at the start with leaves yellowing and dropping but the new buds kept emerging despite cold weather. I did not prune my newly planted roses, however i did trim off any struggling/broken shoot/leaves. I also did not disbud or remove flowers of my grafted roses, as i believe if a perennial plant only flowers when it is comfortable doing it. However, i never let any flower to make hip.

Soil was worked out thoroughly prior to planting, however no additives such as compost/manure was added due to various factors. I plan to fertilize them lightly with artificial fertilizers throughout the season.

I kept my newly planted roses reasonably wet till initial one week after which normal(always moist) scheme is being followed. My soil is clay loam.

Exposure
All of my roses have exposure issues. None of them is in full sun rather partial sun(2-4) hours at this time of the year. i expected this to improve with season, however as it becomes a negative factor in winters....i am forseeing that this would be a plus factor in hot summers.

After Care
I am focusing on following measures for better growth and disease management.

No use of manure till they are established to avoid fungus issues.
keeping them moist but no wet
avoid water sprinkling on foliage
extreme hygiene maintenance as regards to leaves and other litter.
Periodic hoeing
very dilute fertilization scheme on weekly bases including urea and npk.
i have added sulpher granules in beds to fend off black spot.
use of pesticide (confidor) for thripe management.

The season has started, i will keep updating with a solid outcome as regards to culture and hardy cultivars.

Rio Samba( a rose with multiple shades at a time)

Cherry parfait( a pink and white bi color)

Helen naude

Tibet

Majestic

Golden celebration, i expect it to become more fuller as plant gains strength

Super green, no doubt a true green with a very long life.

Maria theresa

an unknown white, probably a cut flower variety

Miniatures

Blue for you, i expected lightening of color with heat

Augusta luise

Our local Gruss, very very fragrant and hardy

Rhapsody in blue

Burgundy iceberg

Lets celebrate

Honey perfume....very fragrant

Princess de monaco bud

Jude the obscure
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

all suckers must be removed prior planting and a constant watch be maintained afterwards..
muhammadimran7
City: rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: growing from seeds

Post by muhammadimran7 »

nice guide about roses and images. who is this Haji Sb. provide details about his nursery if possible
Umair
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Post by Umair »

Farhan Sb I have a suggestion. This is the best natural time for roses to get established. So try to minimise any artificial input and let nature do its work. Till the end of April. After that feed them for 2 months and again leave till September. This will make your bushes more disease resistant and more established for coming years.
And for fertilizer use properly dried and broken Manure as it is the best food for them. And websites of almost every rose grower recommends and market old Cow Manure for rose feeding. And if u have spaced your roses properly they will catch no disease till monsoon, at that time u need to do spray otherwise, simply break the leave or stem which u suspect is catching any disease now a days. (I did the same things last year that u r planning to do and that was not much fruitful. And a little excess quantity of Urea will kill ur bushes)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Great collection... Farhan bhai, if possible kindly use Calcium ammonium nitrate for Nitrogen, Single Super Phosphate for Phosphorus and Sulfate of potash for Potassium..

Phosphate fertilizer should be used once per growing season, it remains in soil for long and needed in low quantities...
Calcium based nitrogen fertilizer will produce stems with thick walls, this will enable the plants to withstand the attacks of sap sucking insects like thrips, aphids and mealy bugs.. this will also strengthens the root wall and increase the bloom life.. Nitrogen depletes at faster pace due to readily taken-up by a growing plant and also due to bacteria.. so it should be a regular fertilizer...
Potash should also be used regularly as it is readily taken-up by growing plants..

I have observed, experimented and learned that roses are not heavy feeders (as I erroneously thought earlier)... right type of dilute (300-500 ppm) fertilizer during growing season works wonders...
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

thanks izhar for great input...precisely i also was looking for CAN, SSp and potash but couldnt locate, hence ended up with soluble npk and granule npk. i would try for the mentioned stuff. thanks again
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

SONYA DILL KHUSH KITA IE

Return to “Farhan Ahmed's Cottage Garden”