Garden Log 2014-15

A Novice's Journey of Gardening

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Garden Log 2014-15

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Your seeds are already half way across the world. I will mention the seeds here.....All are F-1. Some are fresh as i mentioned earlier and some from last year's packet.

Petunia x hybrida 'Super Cascade Improved' F1 Hybrid
Antirrhinum majus 'Double Madame Butterfly Mixed' F1 Hybrid
Nasturtium Rumba
Hollyhock 'Spring Celebrities Mixed' (Annual)
Poppy Ohlala
Calendula Touch of Red
Osteospermum Glistening White
Venidium Jaffa Ice
rudbeckia green eyes
Nemesia Tapestry

I would like you to try Petunia hanging....mixed colors. very very floriferous as i experienced this season. Suitable for pots no fuss. Would require careful germination, rest no issues. Place two plants is 8-10 inch pot. Or you can pot single plant in (6 inch pot...hanging plastic type). Mix good amount of compost. Petunias are very hungry plants. In initial days do deadhead some blooms to encourage plant to go in stress,

I see that you like admiral Snaps. Similar in height but with loads of character to the flower. Butterfly snaps. Awesome shape. Seed starting again be careful. They bloom late and when they do pests are on their high. Watch our for caterpillar eating flowers. They are not only tall but well branched also do not require pinching.

Next is nasturtium romba...mix of pinks and intense reds. I was earlier thinking of sending you milkmaid but then at the last moment i changed the decision. Sow as early as October. Feed well don't bother about foliage let it flourish. At one stage it will start to throw out long ramblers. at that point use simple trellis(single cane) to make these ramblers climb. When they are mid way into bloom in mentioned arrangement. Remove larger leaves. They do attract caterpillars but this is beneficial. Firstly because most of of your other plants will be saved and they eating few nutisar leaves hardly matters. You can use them in hanging arrangement also.

Then i see you let hollies grow also :-) in your garden. THolly celebrity are dwarf ones with double flower. No cultural issue. Flower late spring. Plant close or apart as you prefer.

I know you havent got big beds left now. but still i would be sending you opium poppies. Grow a couple in your house, some maybe in archies. Surface sow. barely cover. Transplant very very early. Do not over water. Smaller bloom time but flower is bigger.....as you like.

I know you don't like calendulas. But still i would send you some for maybe........ They are touch of red. Grow them and see them bloom for two months with nice colors. ask you mali to regularly deadhead. Sit down and feel their red buds ready to burst open.

next are Dimor, White. Plant closer around 6- 8 inches. Will be first to bloom and last to go in your garden provided you can keep up the pace of deadheading. if you don't still at their prime, they exhibit a splash of blooms. Give them not more than 2x2 ft space.

next are venidum. Large flower, icy foliage. Something new.......experiment....i propose that each year you try a couple of new species of annuals. Don't expect much, but the journey to their bloom will keep you excited that what is going to show up. Keep thrill in your garden...the unexpected.

rudbeckias you already know.

lastly nemesia tapestry. grow them in pots. small flower. Plant as close as you possibly can.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Hello Farhan, You seems to know me better than my self.
Naughty boy , you wont let me retire.
Allah bless you
Arif
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

The Journey of Cottage Garden Ends...............Good Bye My Dear Garden, You will be dearly cherished
It has been a time of my life...with flowers, garden, learning and lovely members.
I am off to Karachi in few days..for my new assignment. I am not sure how much time or space i will have in times to come. Maybe a balcony garden or maybe nothing at all, later being more probable atleast for some months.
Leaving behind everything, nothing will be carried and remain as it is for someone else to enjoy or destroy. Many are yet to bloom and some are being spoiled because of my in-attention, but i remember this fall, when i had a small seed box from which most part of this garden grew. And i say to myself, from this small box one day Insha Allah i will create something similar if not better.
My Apologies i could not save/collect seeds for the bank. Time is short and i have to wrap up entire home.
If i get sometime i will share some blooms of recent past.....
Log of my garden stands closed......
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

A single ant can hold 5000 times its own body weight before it loses its head
A single match strike can decimate acres of forest.
From a tiny Nayza grows a mighty Chilgoza.

Thank you for your contributions they have been most usefull.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

“When I was all set to go, when I had my bags and all, I stood for a while next to the stairs and took a last look down the garden. I was sort of crying. I don't know why. I put my red hunting hat on, and turned the peak around to the back, the way I liked it, happy gardening, """
“Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.”
very difficult moment for gardening Pakistan ...... a long journey we have with your garden.....all the best and good luck for your future..our prayers are with you.. :D :mrgreen:
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

Farhan, your garden and your posts have been sense of inspiration for beginners like me. I, for one, learned a lot from your posts here on the forum and also the page on Facebook. I hope and pray you get better place and environment for the gardening at your new place of duty. Your garden will be missed. All the very best.
Javed Ashraf.
muhammadimran7
City: rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: growing from seeds

Post by muhammadimran7 »

Dear Farhan
Your garden was the source of inspiration for the most of the members including me. You are wonderful and creative personality and I hope you will get manage the same very soon. I will use your “Garden Log” as for my selection or wish list for my annuals. May your new home bring you every joy that your heart wishes for!
Good Luck
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

It is just a minor set back, you will rise again
God bless you
Arif
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Its disheartening to read this but its part of life and career. May you have all the best and success in your future endeavors. I expect you will keep in touch in forum and group for guidance and share the experience you are having for promotion and betterment of gardening in Pakistan.
I would also express my gratitude to you for your unmatchable contribution in promotion and awareness in vast areas of gardening without having any other intent rather I must say the pure promotion of gardening(Your acts are speaking of itself).
I hope and believe that you would not forget the gardening and the gardening friends. I am sure you have the potential of creating a beautiful garden in any place either it’s a open field or a balcony or container(I know very well your gardening concepts from Large Scale Gardening to Micro Gardening ).
Wohe Jahan Hay Tera Jisay Tu Karay Paaydaa
Ye Sang-o-Hishat Nahe Jo Teri Negha May Hay
All the Best.
Rafique
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Best of luck farhan and we all are looking forward for you to continue your contribution in near future.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Return to “Farhan Ahmed's Cottage Garden”