garden update

Moderator: Izhar

suffi
City: Haripur
Gardening Interests: kitchen gardenign , landscaping, medicinal plants reading and cultivation,

Re: garden update

Post by suffi »

sara wrote:my gardener was nice enough to bring me a pretty vine. which was 5 inches high about 2 months ago and is now growing every day and has beautiful tiny pink flowers . its planted outside the window so i get to see flowers when im standing inside the house
what is name of this vine
sara

Post by sara »

suffi wrote:
sara wrote:my gardener was nice enough to bring me a pretty vine. which was 5 inches high about 2 months ago and is now growing every day and has beautiful tiny pink flowers . its planted outside the window so i get to see flowers when im standing inside the house
what is name of this vine
Antigonon
Sara
mahira
City: karachi

Post by mahira »

oh saraaaaaa u have such a wonderful garden exactly the one i dream of having with cute little hangings <3 u have put up alot if effort and it shows.. wish i could hve one like this. but i only have a terrace and that too with lotsa sun so im restricted to pots. wish i had soil to play with in my garden. anyway please keep posting pictues often. it's kinda inspiring and im adding Mashallah to your garden :)
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Digging up an old thread but there are so many sections in this forum that one is lost..... a little. May be I have grown old and find it difficult to navigate. :roll: Never came across this thread (my fault, it was always there).

What an aesthetically developed garden. Making best use of the small space, not many expensive plants (commonly available plants, mostly) but they have all been arranged in such a beautiful manner that overall effect is outstanding. This garden may have a look better than a garden having very expensive and rare plants. Very imaginative. No doubt Sara very well understands what gardening is all about. One more advantage of using common plants is that they stay healthy most of the time and a garden full of lush green healthy but common plants will give a much better look overall than a garden composed of weak, sick but expensive and rare plants. Impressive. :)
sara

Post by sara »

KBW wrote:Digging up an old thread but there are so many sections in this forum that one is lost..... a little. May be I have grown old and find it difficult to navigate. :roll: Never came across this thread (my fault, it was always there).

What an aesthetically developed garden. Making best use of the small space, not many expensive plants (commonly available plants, mostly) but they have all been arranged in such a beautiful manner that overall effect is outstanding. This garden may have a look better than a garden having very expensive and rare plants. Very imaginative. No doubt Sara very well understands what gardening is all about. One more advantage of using common plants is that they stay healthy most of the time and a garden full of lush green healthy but common plants will give a much better look overall than a garden composed of weak, sick but expensive and rare plants. Impressive. :)

:D Thank you ! i appreciate the compliments alot ! considering that this is my first garden i would say with all the advice available here its really up to your imagination what to do with it !
and as you noted i have tried using local plants.. the expensive ones have a tendency to die faster and then its just a dent in my wallet !! but that doesnt stop the occasional imported plant wandering into my garden !!
Sara
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

sara wrote:[.....and as you noted i have tried using local plants.. the expensive ones have a tendency to die faster and then its just a dent in my wallet !! but that doesnt stop the occasional imported plant wandering into my garden !!
Our gardening will become very easy if we understand this point :)

It all depends on how you approach gardening and what appeals you more. I am not a specie guy and for me, how a plant looks in the overall landscape is far more important than growing a new cultivar which has just been introduced in Holland. However, there are gardners who are more fascinated by collecting species and cultivar which are not commonly available. Both styles of gardening have their own merits / demerits but the mode of action is entirely different and so is the idea of sense of satisfaction.

Actually, cheap or common plants are not necessarily useless or good for nothing plants. They are those plants (native or imported) which have settled very well in our local environment, can bear the weather and soil effects in Pakistan with ease (and are therefore hardy) and resultantly, are capable of reproducing easily (in most cases). Since they can propagate easily and survive well, every nursery have them and they are cheap.

Expensive plants, conversely, are not necesserily very good plants. Most of them are either new cultivars (hybrids which are not yet fully established) which have to be imported hence expensive. Since they are still not established plants or unsuitable plants for our climate, therefore, they are not hardy, do not propagate easily and are not readily available in nurseries. Hence more expensive and more appealing to specie collectors who are trying to grow rare / difficult plants but not too much of fascination to landscapers.

But a large number of home gardners aspire to have something which others don't have and this is natural. This mindset keeps the nursery business flourishing and internet has added to this fever. In this overall setting, those gardners who come up with a garden primarily composed of plants well suited to our environment (which will mostly be cheap as well) tend to have more lush and scenic gardens as compared to those who are trying to grow new and rare species. Imagination is a very important aspect of gardening sense and without it, one can collect many plants (if he has the resources to buy) but would rarely comeout with something profound. The whole thing finally ends at better landscaping / arrangement for which imagination and knowledge of plants is a prerequisite. Many senior gardners go for lanscaping primarily but within that, do have few expensive plants as well which means a fine balance but with a tilt towards landscaping and not towards collecting novel species.

May like to have a look at this.... what I have written above, I have tried to manifest here. A bunch of cheap and commonly available plants, mostly, which I have tried to arrange in a manner that it looks presentable, pleasing to the eyes and more importantly, is likely to survive without lot of care.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1808
sara

Post by sara »

KWB :
its all about the balance .... with the little splurge here and there :) and then lots of hope that itll live !! lol
thanks for linking your post !
Sara
kashifhuraira
City: multan
Gardening Interests: Kitchen gardening

Post by kashifhuraira »

Amazing but one thing i m thinking how u drink the pots hanging on wall and tree on top upper row.

Return to “Sara's Whimsical Garden”