Sprinkling beginners of Spring 2014

Rose Lover from Lahore

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Sprinkling beginners of Spring 2014

Post by mikhurram »

by rafique » February 18th, 2014, 12:10 am

ofcourse i can't forget Hammad K too. :)
And especially his immense contributions to the plant database section.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

I would highly recommend that you should consider growing 'Trachelospermum jasminoides' commonly known as Star Jasmine for the sake of display preferably the green leaf variety instead of the variegated leaf variety and Jasmine Polyanthum for the sake of fragrance.
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

mikhurram wrote:I would highly recommend that you should consider growing 'Trachelospermum jasminoides' commonly known as Star Jasmine for the sake of display preferably the green leaf variety instead of the variegated leaf variety and Jasmine Polyanthum for the sake of fragrance.
Most of the nursery men/nurseries are not aware of the plants' nomaclature , so it requires alot of time and effort to get the selected one....
Rafique
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

rafique wrote:
mikhurram wrote:
by M Farooq » February 17th, 2014, 10:21 am
Actually, I had just created an entry for Rafique sb's jasmine viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3408, I think his jasmine is Jasminum dichotomum, the so called rose bud jasmine. Jasminum multiflorum buds are not pink. What is your opinion about J. dichotomum?
And please share the pictures of "most fragrant jasmine variety ever".
Thanks.
I believe one has to stand very close to Jasmine Dichotomum to experience its fragrance. I might be wrong and Rafique would be knowing better about the fragrance of Jasmine dichotomum as to whether it can be smelled from a distance?

The scent of Jasmine Polyanthum is heady and permeates in the air. Shall post pictures hopefully in March when it blooms.
Khurram sb the fragrance is not strong enough to feel from a distance but one can feel a sweet fragance within a feet.
Frooq Bhai you are looking absolutely correct about its cutivar identification. Thanks you for identification and database entry, you are doing a commendable efforts, may Allah Bless you.
Thank you Rafique sahab. The database is thriving because of picture contributors like you and other active contributors which helps all of us learn about new plants which grow around us. Special thanks to Hamad Kisana as well.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Masha'Allah amazing! How much sun so your roses get?
rafique

Post by rafique »

aykhan wrote:Masha'Allah amazing! How much sun so your roses get?
Dr. sb this particular row (DD and HN)is geting 4-5 five hours these days and improving. These are blooms from few bushes are not pruned.
Thanks and Regards
Rafique
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I really hard pruned my bushes this year for the first time. Wonder how they will flower and when. Also removed many grafted and replaced with ownroot which will likely not be performers for another 2 years. Sabr hi sabr idhar....
rafique

Post by rafique »

aykhan wrote:I really hard pruned my bushes this year for the first time. Wonder how they will flower and when. Also removed many grafted and replaced with ownroot which will likely not be performers for another 2 years. Sabr hi sabr idhar....
Dr sb i choose 1/3 pruning formula. All bushes are pruned at about 1.5 feet approximately, not hard pruned. New buds are forming and hopefully they will be blooming with other annuals insha-Allah in first week of april and onwards.
Rafique
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

The timing and degree of pruning would be dictated by the type of roses i.e it would be different for Hybrid Tea Variety, Flordibunda and Shrub Roses. A simple principle of pruning is that we have to cut down dead stems entirely, cut back weak stems and least of strong shoots.

-Hybrid Teas and Floribunda require heavy pruning almost to the stumps-10-15 cm from the ground.

-Shrub roses, English Roses and Old Fashioned Varieties require only light pruning to maintain a tidy shape.

Return to “Rafique's Garden”