Lilies

A Green Head from Wah/UK

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Lilies

Post by mikhurram »

Try growing tiger lilies also. Their flower shape and colours is very unique. They are not available in Pakistan but easily available in uk.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

InshAllah Tiger and Trumpet (specially Easter lily) are in my list, last year I purchased few but the corms were rotted and I returned to the company :(

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Easter lily grow very well in Lahore/ Islamabad.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

mikhurram wrote:Easter lily grow very well in Lahore/ Islamabad.
fingers crossed, soon InshAllah

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Hamad wrote:you are right Khurram there are few differences Arif sb
Fragrance
Oriental are Heavily scented
Asiatic are not fragrant, may be few
................................................................................................................................................................
Climate
Asiatic are more heat tolerant (because they are hybrid to Asian species)
Oriental are less heat tolerant (they are Hybrid to European Species)
Hamad
Does that mean,we can't grow in Pakistan Lilies with fragrance ?
by mikhurram » September 5th, 2013, 11:00 pm
IP:
Easter lily grow very well in Lahore/ Islamabad.
Then, are Tiger & Trumpet/Easter Lilies not fragrant?

Hamad, are they not already there in your tubers list? Incidently, what is the progress thereof?

Then, are Tiger & Easter Lilies not fragrant?
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Munir Sb I added Asiatic lilies in my list but when I will compile the details for Lilies, I will write down in detail and Easter Lily is very fragrant and beautiful variety, Tiger I m not sure because yet to try and Oriental are fragrant but Asiatic are not and Asiatic is very successful in our climate but I will try Oriental on experimental basis and see what would be the outcome, if you would like to try some Oriental lilies for an experiment then I will bring some corms for you out of my variety.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Hamad wrote:.............................................. Oriental are fragrant but Asiatic are not and Asiatic is very successful in our climate.
That means, we can mostly enjoy only the beauty but not the fragrance of lilies in Pakistan.
Hamad wrote:......... if you would like to try some Oriental lilies for an experiment then I will bring some corms for you out of my variety.
Certainly.That would be nice.Thank you.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Asiastic is grown in site with good drainage tend to sprout again in the following year whereas Oriental being fragrant never sprout again the 2nd year. The forced bulbs of Oriental tend to grow only in the first year. Both these varieties are available in Pakistan around September/October and can be purchased for Rs 50 each.

Easter Lily like Asiastic lillium tends to sprout again in the 2nd year.

The main problem is that during the second year, Asiatic lilliums tends to flower around middle of April and bloom duration cut short by rising heat and we can only enjoy the blooms up to 2 weeks. There is a solution for this.

Some growers based in Lahore tend to dig their corms from the ground in the first week of March and place them in plastic crates used for putting bulbs. These crates are stored in Commercial Chiller sites used for making ice till end of September. These commercial chillers charge Rs 150 to Rs 200 per crate for storage up to 6 months. A plastic crate can store at-least 100 lillium corms. Then these crates are taken out from the chillers in the first week of October and the corms are grown in a well drained site and start flowering from December or January onwards. The benefit is that bloom duration is longer in the winter months versus April in addition to less casualty rate of lillium corms.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Is it a corm or a scaly bulb?
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Munir wrote:
That means, we can mostly enjoy only the beauty but not the fragrance of lilies in Pakistan.
Munir sb Easter is beauty and fragrance both and try Oriental with south facing and at a cool place in you garden (considering micro climate) and see if they do well in second year, InshAllah before the season will start I will bring some corms try them and see.
Khurram wrote:
Some growers based in Lahore tend to dig their corms from the ground in the first week of March and place them in plastic crates used for putting bulbs. These crates are stored in Commercial Chiller sites used for making ice till end of September. These commercial chillers charge Rs 150 to Rs 200 per crate for storage up to 6 months. A plastic crate can store at-least 100 lillium corms. Then these crates are taken out from the chillers in the first week of October and the corms are grown in a well drained site and start flowering from December or January onwards. The benefit is that bloom duration is longer in the winter months versus April in addition to less casualty rate of lillium corms.
Khurram this could be done with Oriental lilies, do you know any chillier in RWP/ISL who offer something like this

Hamad
Last edited by Hamad on September 6th, 2013, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Hamad's Garden”