Moderator: Izhar

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: Moth Orchids

Post by Hamad »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:I feel my next venture is going to be ORCHIDS, with a proper green house for them.
great :) , please do keep us in the loop it will be great learning from your experience.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hijaab
City: Mississauga

Post by Hijaab »

They are lovely. I am planning to grow some indoor plants. These would be lovely addition indeed!

Any tips how to grow them and do's and don't's?
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Hijaab wrote:They are lovely. I am planning to grow some indoor plants. These would be lovely addition indeed!

Any tips how to grow them and do's and don't's?
Orchids are not easy, although they are easily available nowadays in Pakistani nurseries.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

well without offending any member my personal opinion is that we should try it, it’s a nice plant to grow rather beautiful indoor plant and the best part is that its bloom has quite longer survival time and watering requirement averagely once a week and they don't require soil to grow unlike others its growing medium is bark or woody medium and most people concern regarding their re-blooming and so am I but what I have read so far is that they re-bloom according to their life cycle just like any other plant and for Orchids special fertilisers are also available in the market, I don't have any first-hand experience of having them re-bloom for me because I have just started with them but I think we should give them a chance and see how they behave, so far they are doing good with me without pampering them a lot all that I do is just water them once a week.
It has many species I have heard that ground Orchids are also quite successful in Pakistan and another favourite of mine is Pleione (Rockery Orchid) haven’t tried though.
There is a lot of information available on the internet regarding their care and re blooming and few are as follows

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Phaleno ... h-Orchids)
http://www.bottomlinepublications.com/c ... to-rebloom

I hope that might help

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hijaab
City: Mississauga

Post by Hijaab »

Hamad wrote:well without offending any member my personal opinion is that we should try it, it’s a nice plant to grow rather beautiful indoor plant and the best part is that its bloom has quite longer survival time and watering requirement averagely once a week and they don't require soil to grow unlike others its growing medium is bark or woody medium and most people concern regarding their re-blooming and so am I but what I have read so far is that they re-bloom according to their life cycle just like any other plant and for Orchids special fertilisers are also available in the market, I don't have any first-hand experience of having them re-bloom for me because I have just started with them but I think we should give them a chance and see how they behave, so far they are doing good with me without pampering them a lot all that I do is just water them once a week.
It has many species I have heard that ground Orchids are also quite successful in Pakistan and another favourite of mine is Pleione (Rockery Orchid) haven’t tried though.
There is a lot of information available on the internet regarding their care and re blooming and few are as follows

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Phaleno ... h-Orchids)
http://www.bottomlinepublications.com/c ... to-rebloom

I hope that might help

Hamad
Thank you very much Hamad sahab.
I will INSHA'ALLAH look into these sites and get a better idea. Since I am novice to gardening, I really need to do some experiments and then eventually I'll be able to have some success INSHA'ALLAH.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad wrote:well without offending any member my personal opinion is that we should try it, it’s a nice plant to grow rather beautiful indoor plant and the best part is that its bloom has quite longer survival time and watering requirement averagely once a week and they don't require soil to grow unlike others its growing medium is bark or woody medium and most people concern regarding their re-blooming and so am I but what I have read so far is that they re-bloom according to their life cycle just like any other plant and for Orchids special fertilisers are also available in the market, I don't have any first-hand experience of having them re-bloom for me because I have just started with them but I think we should give them a chance and see how they behave, so far they are doing good with me without pampering them a lot all that I do is just water them once a week.
Hamad
I am a great admirer of the beauty of orchids...the flower colours and shapes are very amazing. When I visited a botanical garden, I was told that each orchid is designed with a very specific shape in such a way that a very particular insect can pollinate it. As you rightly said, orchids are different as they are epiphytes. Our favourite vanilla icecream flavour comes from orchids too. My comment about it being difficult was that I brought one from a nursery in Karachi and it never bloomed. An orchid without a flower is not very appealing. And perhaps the sole reason was my ignorance about the best growth conditions.

Regards,
Farooq
robertsmith
City: Los Angeles

Post by robertsmith »

That is really stunning. I wish I could own it.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Farooq and Hijaab pleased to hear that, try and share your experiences with us that would be great help for all of us ;)

Robert I believe they must be available in USA

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

my Orchids started to re-bloom for me, what I have observed that no doubt they are the best indoor plants but once you have enjoyed their bloom and the bloomed have died back you can put them out door otherwise they may get rotted and that's what happened to me, after the bloom though I was watering them properly but I think because of hot weather they started to rot, I put them out door in shaded area where they were receiving few hours of sun and watering them fortnightly once a week or if required twice a week and now they are re-blooming and please don't forget that out door temperature was around 25 to 30 C, and I didn't try any fertilizer or any re-blooming fertilizers available in the market and I m a happy lad to have my Orchids re-blooming for me :) :D . but still they are the best indoor flowering plant and they survive for the longest time duration and its also the most recommended and favourite by interior decorating professionals.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Please post some update pics!

Return to “Hamad's Garden”