Roses, Chrysanthemums and Random!

Orchids, Water lilies, Roses and fragrant plants lover

Moderator: Izhar

dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Re: Roses, Chrysanthemums and Random!

Post by dragoonsers »

You are right about roses that they need a cold dormant period, but we are happy with what we get ;)

Roses were suffering in the blistering heat (40C) in OCTOBER! So I moved them to shade (benefit of containers).. Seem to be recovering now with new growth. I did lose three roses ie. a century two, one yellow HT (unknown) and a dark red HT (unknown). Luckily I always buy two of each so I have backups! 8-)

DD, Scentimental, Maria Shriver, and three others survived brilliantly alhumdullillah. Amazed at their resilience! Even Sharifa Asma. Looking forward to add more roses this winter inshallah.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

That's great. How is the scent of Sharifs Asma in Karachi weather?
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I have also lost my oldest rose and 1 other from the heat and due to the intense heat in october I also shifted them to the shade. I donot buy double roses of each type so it is a complete loss. Now I remain with only three roses. :( :? :(
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

KBW wrote:That's great. How is the scent of Sharifs Asma in Karachi weather?
It is a scent I've never felt before. When it blooms I just don't want to take my nose out :geek:
Mustansir Billah wrote:I have also lost my oldest rose and 1 other from the heat and due to the intense heat in october I also shifted them to the shade. I donot buy double roses of each type so it is a complete loss. Now I remain with only three roses. :( :? :(
Don't worry. I've lost many roses in the last three years.. Not a good thing but I learnt a lot from it. When to fertilize, what to fertilize with, how much water, how much sun, what sprays etc. Best way to cope with the loss is to learn something from it. It helps me. But now rose season coming up, and I have my shopping list ready! Haha.

I do have one question though. It is extremely hot in Karachi. And because we usually use river sand (balu mitti/bhal) mixed with compost/manure, it dries out easily. Roses that come from Punjab come in the clay-iest soil ball ever? So would watering lead to rot? I noticed one rose died "bottom up" ie. from the base stem upwards. Any opinions?
Mustansir Billah

dragoonsers wrote:
Mustansir Billah wrote:I have also lost my oldest rose and 1 other from the heat and due to the intense heat in october I also shifted them to the shade. I donot buy double roses of each type so it is a complete loss. Now I remain with only three roses. :( :? :(
Don't worry. I've lost many roses in the last three years.. Not a good thing but I learnt a lot from it. When to fertilize, what to fertilize with, how much water, how much sun, what sprays etc. Best way to cope with the loss is to learn something from it. It helps me. But now rose season coming up, and I have my shopping list ready! Haha.

I do have one question though. It is extremely hot in Karachi. And because we usually use river sand (balu mitti/bhal) mixed with compost/manure, it dries out easily. Roses that come from Punjab come in the clay-iest soil ball ever? So would watering lead to rot? I noticed one rose died "bottom up" ie. from the base stem upwards. Any opinions?
Yes I have learnt a lot from the loss of my roses also past and two year before joining the forum my rose loss was infinite. :D But now it has decreased and I have learnt a lot and still learning. About the clay problem I do not know much about it but always thought would the potting mix be the reason of any rose death.
Senior members are requested to reply. ;)
Mustansir Billah

Besides I have (Maybe) century two.
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

In my view potting mix would mostly not cause death to a plant unless it contains harmful chemicals in high quantity and in that case, you would know immediately. If the soil has a very poor drainage than it can cause death in due course of time. Overfeeding with chemical fertilizers is also a very common cause of death and the death could be sudden. Over watering combined with poor drainage of soil is another common cause but the death is gradual. Spraying too many insecticides in roses which are pot bound is another reason. Pesticides should therefore be avoided to the last extent. Many of my friends in USA, Canada and UK have completely stopped using pesticides in their gardens due to the severe and very dangerous environmental hazards attached. They have resorted to organic treatments. Roses in pots are much more vulnerable to extreme weather changes, specially during summers when one has to save them from dehydration which could be very quick at times.

regards

PS: May I request the MODS to shift the threads related to roses in the Rose Section. They will serve a better purpose when they are all at one place. In case of this thread, I could only discover it when Hamza brother quoted the link otherwise I might have never seen it.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Its a Bloom share thread.....
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Hamza brother
Some very nice rose pics which I would like to add in the rose database. These are extremely important pics as they are of roses being grown in Karachi, presumably not a very friendly place for growing roses. I would be grateful if you PM the pics to me, along with their names and MOST IMPORTANTLY, your comments that how did you find them growing in Karachi. The first hand experience from Karachi will be a very important adition to the database. That way, we will have comments of members from Karachi, Islamabad, Okara, Lahore about the same rose and that will be a real valuable data.

Thanks a lot in anticipation. :)

Return to “Hamza's Garden(hnasir )”