Hello's Garden

Moderator: Izhar

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Anthurium

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Mealy bugs and Spider mites...
Hello1

Re: My Succulents & Cacti

Post by Hello1 »

Tahir Sb: Thanks for the great piece of advice about the Agave victoria. Today morning, bright and early, I repotted it. When I removed the dead/decaying rosettes. came across a number of offsets. Some came apart and I will try and pot them seperately. One interesting thing, there were a lot of what seemed like white ants between rosettes. The crown is now about half an inch over the soil level. Hope that is OK ?

Posting another cactus. What do you think of it ?
Hello1

Re: Hibiscus

Post by Hello1 »

This beauty opened today
Hello1

Re: Hibiscus

Post by Hello1 »

Hello1

Re: What Is Blooming In Your Garden

Post by Hello1 »

A pure white Plumeria: Note the leaf shape

Jatropha: Again leaf shape is worth noting.
Hello1

Re: Anthurium

Post by Hello1 »

It is the season for scale insects as well. Depends on what plant you are talking about. Hibiscus is highly susceptible to both mealy bugs and scale insects. The latter are a huge threat to any plant.
Hello1

Post by Hello1 »

I forgot to mention that this particular variety is Denmoza rhodacantha
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Hello1 wrote:Tahir Sb: Thanks for the great piece of advice about the Agave victoria. Today morning, bright and early, I repotted it. When I removed the dead/decaying rosettes. came across a number of offsets. Some came apart and I will try and pot them seperately. One interesting thing, there were a lot of what seemed like white ants between rosettes. The crown is now about half an inch over the soil level. Hope that is OK ?

Posting another cactus. What do you think of it ?
That is just perfect, but remember to put all your precious cacti under a shed away from monsoon rains otherwise they will rot... and white ants can be the larvae of ants post a pic for better understanding.

The cactus in the pic is Mammillaria compressa one of my favourite plants :)
Hello1

Post by Hello1 »

:D Correction noted. Cant send the pic becuse I killed the critters by drowning. Turned the crown upside down and shortly they werre all, presumably, in hell. Have changed the soil totally and also added some sharp sand.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Hello1 wrote::D Correction noted. Cant send the pic becuse I killed the critters by drowning. Turned the crown upside down and shortly they werre all, presumably, in hell. Have changed the soil totally and also added some sharp sand.
That is good.. the water should drain out quickly specially if you are growing cacti and succulents... it is very important that you fertilize them as well as the soil will get nutrient deficient by time with the dosage i have mentioned for speedier growth. 1 part sharp sand+1 part soil+1 part compost or organic fertilizer is an ideal mix... you can line the bottom of the container with coconut husk or with a wire mesh piece to ensure good drainage.. i usually use old clippings of leaves and stems to line my container bottoms, it helps :)

Return to “Hello's Garden”