City: Karachi

Coleus Colors

Post by Hello1 »

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Coleus Colors

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I guess this is perennial coleus in Karachi..is it so?

Intrigued by two succulents placed beside.....share details
Hello1

Post by Hello1 »

farhan137 wrote:I guess this is perennial coleus in Karachi..is it so?

Intrigued by two succulents placed beside.....share details
Coleus is supposed to be perenniel in Karachi and you can keep it going for a couple of years, provided you don't overwater and keep the plants in shape by pinching out new growth.

The succulent is growing simply in a large dish of water and is a variety of water hyacinth (Eichornia crassipes). It is a very invasive species and multiplies really rapidly by division. Runners just undr the surface of the water send out shoots which form new rosettes of leaves.
Hello1

Post by Hello1 »

Oh yes one more thing about coleus , as soon as it starts to flower, buds have to be pinched out, because flowers tend to become seed and this is a signal for the plant to die.
Hello1

Re: Cannas: Flowers & Foliage

Post by Hello1 »

sara wrote:oh what wonderful leaves on these canas :) mine was plain green leaves but the flowers are dual colour orange and red in one , grows everywhere ive planted it and very happily multiplies !!
Thank you. A large number of plants are worth keeping simply because of foliage colors, leaf shape and texture.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
Hello1 wrote:
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:A always wonder why such a wonderful plant is neglected so much except by the common house sparrow who love to devor its flowers. I plan to start collecting them but only the pretty ones.
Arif Sb: If you look once more at the picture of the orange colored canna flower, you will notice some tiny leaves and even tinier flowers. This is Lawsonia inermis also known as hina or henna and ofcourse "mehndi". I had this bush for years and years and this is the first time I have seen it flower!
If you have a space it has a place in your garden I think it is more fragrant than Molsari.
Mehndi flowers are almost odourless. I have a white and pink variety of Lawsonia - the flowers are completely odorless but the flowers attract lots of honeybees. If someone is sensitive to their stings, it is not advisable to grow them, because henna produces flowers all the time.

Molsari is no comparison. Its fragrance is very unique and an "eastern" fragrance. It is a must if someone has space for a medium sized handsome tree :-)
Hello1

Post by Hello1 »

Farooq Sb:I completely agree with you. The flowers are totally without fragrance and certainly attract a lot of honey bees.
Hello1

Re: My Succulents & Cacti

Post by Hello1 »

A few more specimens:

Hello1

Re: Hibiscus

Post by Hello1 »

Blooming Right Now

Return to “Hello's Garden”