Plant Lover Reborn!!

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Plant Lover Reborn!!

Post by KBW »

My Delhias are doing great. In fact some of the plants have so many large size flowers (5 to 6 inch at least) that I have to put multiple supports to keep them standing :)

Look at this plant which is bearing 13 large size flowers. I think the combined weight of all these flowers should not be less than a Kg. Ojhri fertiliser seems to have worked well for dehlias.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Is this one in the ground?
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Yes... all of them are in ground. :)
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

you have proved KBW that you are real plant lover.your dahlias are healthy.and what is condition of your double gerberas mine in sunlight are feeling heat and flowers bow at day time.
Kaleem
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

Beautiful and healthy plants.
Usually Dahlia tubers rot in the rainy season. I always pulled out before rainy season and plant again in fall. Before planting again, always Prepare bed with the mixture of old cow manure and DIP.
Kaleem
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

@hakraza
Brother my Gerberas are doing well. In our weather, they do well in dappled shade or filtered sunlight. DRAINAGE is extremely important. You can see details here...
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... 0&start=10

@Kaleem
I normally take the cuttings of the best strains during monsoon and do not rely on tubers as they tend to be unpredictable in our climate. I however leave them in ground normally and better drainage areas, some of them do survive but I am not banking on them anyway. In my view, Dahlias perform the best through cuttings. This year, I feel I have been able to get a good bloom primarily due to better soil preparation on which I laid lot of emphasis. Lot of humus material and organic fertilisers plus a regular application of SSP. No urea or DAP.
regards
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

KBW your Dahlia is so good.Frankly speaking Dahlia really does good from cuttings.From tubers it do not perform like it does from cuttings planted in mid August.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Really healthy Dhalia plant and flowers. I had seen this health and beauty of dhalias in Murree not in our hot regions. Great effort and reward.
Is it planted in full sun,partial early morning sun or some where under the shade of tree?
Rafique
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Umar bhai, absolutely right. I have never depended on dehlia tubers in the hotter areas. Cuttings do the best and is a far easier method than attempting to save the tubers. :)

rafique bhai, these dahlias are planted in full sun. To get a bigger bloom, soil preparation is very important. During march, I do not let the small plants grow at their own and keep cutting the tops with a sharp scissors. Initial buds are also plucked and the plant is not allowed to flower. It becomes a compact, healthy and bushy plant by end march. And than by second week april, it is set free. Now after a while I will again cut them to 6-8 inches height. This will reduce the surface area and the plant will be able to survive Okara heat better though it won't be easy. In the meanwhile, many cuttings have already been planted in the shade so even if I loose them in heat, new plants would be available. In monsoon, good drainage is to be ensured.

regards
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I am in total confirmity with KBW. I might restart growing them.

Return to “KBW's Garden”