Atrium Landscaping....

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Atrium Landscaping....

Post by KBW »

farah fayyaz wrote:same this pic I have seen on net.
All these pics have been taken by me with my Canon 550 D using 18-135 IS zoom lens. As Hammad bhai mentioned, many of these pics are there on Google pics. I will try to put a water mark on my pics in future so that such a doubt is not raised again and also, my pics are not used by others.
Regards
sara

Post by sara »

this is awesome ! i love the fact that there are a few accent plants and most of the other used are small plants that will grow into their place.. most people forget that patience is a part of gardening and buy big instant plants ! i recon you get a few orchids to put around the waterfall itll be the perfect environment for them and they should add a little splash of sophistication :)
Sara
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

sara wrote: i recon you get a few orchids to put around the waterfall itll be the perfect environment for them and they should add a little splash of sophistication :)
Yup, I would have done it for sure had I been looking after this garden myself. However, my friend is not really good at looking after plants and that was one reason to keep the garden simple.

BTW, later I introduced Talapia fish in the water. It is keeping the unwanted mosquite growth under strict control. I selected talapia because they are readily available in nearby vacinity and can be easily replaced if they die due to water pollution (I am certain that my friend will not be able to take care of water and that is why I avoided putting Koi, goldfish etc). Those talapias which become very big can be consumed at home. Talapia is one of the tastiest fish if prepared correctly. :)
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

yes. Tilapia is tastier than Salmon any day.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Tilapia's are being imported in increasing number from Thailand and being bred in commercial fish farms based in Punjab. They are indeed delicious as mentioned by KBW Sahib.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

The rahu and trout are tasty as well but more of a "kanta" problem with these fish when compared to Tilapia. It's texture is good for frying and making curry or fish steak.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Khurram sahib, Talapia are found everywhere in Pakistan, except the very cold waters. They are a very hardy fish and survive in fresh as well as brekish waters. In fact, they thrive pretty well in warm brekish waters and grow quite big. Me and my sons must have caught thousands of talapias over the years with rod and reel. They are amongst easiest of fish to catch. Since they are mouth brooders, they multiply very quickly and are extremely adaptive and hardy.

I do not know why are we importing Talapias from Thailand when we have them in our local waters everywhere. I also don't understand why are we introducing live thai imported talapias in our waters (fish farms) once we have so many of them in our wilderness. Every natural pond, lake even the brekish water drain contains large quantities of talapia. I think it has got something to do with our "imported stuff" mentality. Somehow we consider every thing imported to be better than everything local, even it happens to be a junk. Thai talapia which is raised in small stagnant water farms is nowhere clsoe in taste to Pakistani wild talapias. I bought a few thai talapias the other day and we did not even finish them because they were not tasty at all. We are tuned to eating wild talapias in Pakistan and these farmed talapias, though bigger in size, just tasted like mud to us. Moreover, when we import live fry, it will surely bring diseases with it and Thailand's fish farms are known to be full of diseased fish. God save Pakistan from this ruthless and unchecked import of plants and animals.

regards
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

KBW sahib if you recall the Dengue virus was also imported from Thailand. They were breeding in the stagnant water within the tires imported from there. I always smile when the nursery men tell me this variegated gardenia is imported from Thailand and it is exactly the same plant available here for a fraction of the price. I have been fooled like this trying to get various cultivars particular to Thailand. Nothing but lies.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Absolutely correct Dr sahib. And see, what a menace this dingy fever has become. So many lives we have lost to this disease. I don't know how will we learn our lessons?

Farooq sb had mentioned in another thread how difficult it is to get any plant, animal product in Canada, what to talk of living plants and animals. They just don't allow anything inside their shores without very comprehensive scientific checks. I remember once in Australia, me (and most other passengers) were asked to take off our shoes and their soles were cleaned with a very high pressure disinfectant, just to ensure that we don't bring any foreign dirt inside Australia. In Canada, it's a crime to dispose the pets (specially aquarium fish) as well as house plants in the wild. Now they just don't allow any foreign plant, animal, bird or insect in their wilderness.

Newton sahib, in another thread, has eluded to the harmful effects of pesticides in Pakistan. He is absolutely right. So many of our villagers are getting strange diseases and ruthless use of pesticides is suspected to be the major reason. You must be having far better knowledge than me on this subject. I wish we develop understanding of the harmful effects of using pesticides.

regards

Return to “KBW's Garden”