My Gerberas

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: My Gerberas

Post by KBW »

aykhan wrote:So beautiful. I'm saddened to hear that my geberas will last only 2-3 years :(
Not necessarily Sir. If you ensure good drainage and protection from scorching heat & frost than they will survive. However, the flower size / number might reduce. But if they are not taken care of, they might not last even one season. But this can drastically vary from cultivar to cultivar. Some are quite hardy and some are extra delicate.

And why is that so? You know Sir, by raising this point, you have touched a cord in my heart. I have never been a supporter of mutating plants for commercial purposes. As you know, Gerbera flowers are a hot item in cut flower industry. Now, various labs in India, Far East and Holland etc are coming up with cultivars that flower 10 or may be 20 times more than a specie Gerbera. The flowers are much more beautiful and large in size with a countless variety in colour. Every lab wants to comeup with cultivars in new colours, shapes and flowering intensity earlier than the other. Most of these hybrids are yet not established plants so they do their job, ie, produce lot of flowers in less time providing commercial benefits to their creater as well as grower and than die. Many of these hybrids which are old now, have settled down and are much more stable.

I don't deny the fact that hybridisation does occur in nature but that takes place over a period of time, giving the plant time to settle down and built it's own mechanisms to survive nature. In case of these cultivars which are being produced at an enormous speed without any control mechanism, the plants are generally weak (not in appearance but from robustness point of view) and are prone to diseases. But from commercial point of view, that might be even better as it will provide business to some insecticide company. Moreover, it may not be desirable to have plants which are robust enough to survive many years. Buy new plants, get maximum flowers in minimum time, sell the flowers at good profit and throw the plants away after they die.... buy new varieties and stay in commercial competition. Isn't this a better theory?

Sorry for this outburst but I really feel bad when I see such things happening. It's not that simple actually and understanding of ecosystem(s) is a complex thing. Playing with nature has consequences which most of the time are not instant and also, may not be pleasant. But over a period of time, we loose a lot, collectively, and thanks to our playing with nature without understanding it's consequences / long term after effects, this has already started happening in my view.

Now coming back to the topic. I try to buy old and known Gerbera cultivars as they are more robust but it is becoming increasingly difficult now. There are so many new cultivars with minor differences that one gets confused. What we can do at the max is taking good care of them. But even then some of them will not be strong enough to survive in the outside world and would need a controlled environment. :(

regards
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Few more shades. Many of the flowers blooming now are quite similar looking in first glance but when seen closely, there is a difference in colour and shape of the flowers.

rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

First and third one are really beautiful and good looking.
Rafique
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

First one is a very nice shade. Second and third are very large flowers. In their own way, all look good to me. I hope I am able to take care of them during monsoon. I have tried my best to ensure good drainage :roll:
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

My Gerberas are still flowering profusely. I am quite glad to see that most of the plants are in very good health. This means better chances of survival during monsoon and winters. :)

So far, I have counted over 25 different colours and many flower shapes. Some of them are extra large flowers.

This orangish mustard coloured gerbera has extra large flowers, around 3.75" which is one of the largest that I have ever seen.

Specie gerberas are also flowering but the size and shape of flowers is nowhere close to F1s. They don't flower as profusely as the hybrid but are very hardy.

This pink flowering gerbera has a strange flowers. Not very impressive but different.

Another nice pink.

A dull red with black centre.

Ocher yellow.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Beautiful indeed
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

gerbera is great flowering plant almost 6 months flowers and each flowers blooms for almost 25 days and color variety is abundant..good to see a gerbera lover i am also preparing a bed of gerberas .continue to share colors.
Kaleem
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

Beautiful flowers and excellent photos, pls share you Camera specs
Kaleem
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

@aykhan, hkraza and Kaleem, thanks a lot Sir.

@Kaleem
Sir most of these pics have been taken with Cannon EOS 550 D (DSLR) installed with 18-135 mm IS lens. Some of the pics have been taken with a Nikon Coolpix 5000 which is an autofocus digital camera. :)
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Excellent.....i wish Gerbera was slightly cheaper. A border can cost a fortune

Return to “KBW's Garden”