Atrium Landscaping....

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Atrium Landscaping....

Post by KBW »

Muneer sb, Javed sb, thanks for the comments. :)

Muneer sb, drip irrigation is a good idea. It is more economical in the long run. :)

Farhan sb, the whole setup can be made quite economically. In my view, water fall is not needed and neither there is a needs to make a complete wall of expensive rock stones. It is difficult to maintain a water fall in a house in the long run. In fact I consider it a short cut taken by most of our landscapers. Actually, they can earn better by doing these fancy things.

In this atrium, water falls were already there. If I had to do this atrium from the scratch, I would have advised my friend not to get a water fall made. It raised the cost of project many times. Believe me a very decent atrium can be made without all these fancy things. One just needs an area which is enclosed so that plants are protected from heat / frost and required humidity level can be maintained, has enough light and air circulation. These are the basic and essential requirements, rest all is a matter of choice but not essential. Once basic requirements are met, from there on it is all imagination / creativity and sky is the limit. :) You would have seen many atriums in / around our offices and other public bulidings where lot of money is spent on these fancy things but one or more of the basic requirements are overlooked. The result is either a failure or a shabily maintained rockery with inappropriate plantation.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Amazing :shock:
Kaleem
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

Beautiful....Beautiful and wonderful, Its an excellent job but our views (mine and my wife) are not good about your plant collections. When you have done an awesome job then you should have to plant few rare species, this will increase the beauty of this Atrium.
There are few examples of constructing such Atrium in Pakistan, after all its remarable idea.
Kaleem
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Kaleem wrote: Its an excellent job but our views (mine and my wife) are not good about your plant collections. When you have done an awesome job then you should have to plant few rare species, this will increase the beauty of this Atrium.
Kaleem sahib, thanks for your views. I was expecting this question. :D

You see the whole theme behind this project was to create something eye catching using commonly available cheap plants (mostly). The landscaper had been planting lots of expensive plants previously (I won’t call them rare per se) but most of them did not survive because right conditions were not created for their survival and the owner (my friend) was not an expert gardener. So I had to create something that survives… for that I needed plants which are commonly available, are cheap, easy to maintain and have a nice appearance. And when arranged in a particular fashion, these commonly available plants should create a natural effect which looks appealing to the eyes.

You have seen these pics now. I will post the pics again after 2 or 3 months and we shall see if there is any need to add anything to this atrium? After having grown up well, do these plants justify their place in the overall setting or they have failed to create an impact and we need to add something?

Actually the whole purpose of sharing this project at the forum was to share my experience with the members that it is possible to create an eye catching effect without spending lot of money. :)
regards
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Visited my friends house tonight. An update, though it is too early to look for effect or change. Probably a month more would be justified, at least.

I am happy to see that many of the ferns that had died down in transportation have started sprouting again. Some are growing very nicely. And love to see syngonium shoots weeping down in the water. I hope in a couple of months they will cover the steel cage over the water motor. What a sight it would be :)

Most of the plants are showing good growth, like this philodendron..

Overall the atrium look slighly more "full" though a month or two more needed to create some real effect. I hope my friend follows my instruction, strictly, during this time and look after the plants well during this "vulnerable" stage. :roll:

PS: Sorry ordinary quality pics. Didn't want to use the flash and couldn't keep my hands steady. Should have taken along a camera stand.
rabia
City: gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Flowering bulbs,Succulents and Cacti,Kitchen gardening,Seasonal flowers ...etc

Post by rabia »

Job well done...it's wonderful view.I totally agree with your theory ...beauty is created by imagination and creativity not by spending piles of money. :)
irfan.siddique
City: Lahore

Post by irfan.siddique »

Great job and awsome creativity. Plz share pics if there are changes now. How it look like now?
farah fayyaz
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

same this pic I have seen on net.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

farah fayyaz wrote:same this pic I have seen on net.
yes you are correct our forum is regularly monitored by Google search engine so many images are displayed in Google images search.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Just got to see this. Amazing effort. Wonderful. Some current pictures please.

Return to “KBW's Garden”