Azaleas..... finally!!

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Azaleas..... finally!!

Post by KBW »

Sorry for typos in above post. Typed from my mobile.

Here is another Azalea. I like the bright scarlet colour and there are many buds forming up. Hopefully I will enjoy the blooms for next one month and more.

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

very beautiful...flowers are like double hibiscus in shape. :mrgreen: indeed they are beautiful :)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I know I cannot grow them here in Lahore, for knowledge sake are these in original containers they were bought in or you did the trans planting? What is the media of the pots?
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Hamad bhai, yes, flowers of this particular Azalea in crimson colour do look a bit like Habiscus double but most other azaleas don't.

Arif Sb, Sir I bought these plants like this. The media is mix of peat and sphagnum moss. I will keep them in the pots till the time they are on bloom which will be till mid sep hopefully. After that, I will plant them in my courtyard in ground. They will stop flowering if I shift them now. BTW, there is so much to buy here that one gets confused and plants are being sold everywhere. I bought these from a subway station while coming back from my office. :D

Best regards
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

The pots look to be of 8-10 inch size,how often do you fertilize them.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Hopefully you will be enjoying your new climate and growing conditions. How long is your stay? Hope to see some very nice blooms and you can relish species that we can't in Pakistan
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Farhan bhai, thanks a lot for your comments. The first thing I learnt here was that it is not easy to grow plants here. Takes more effort and preparation and the season is also restricted. In Pakistan, specially in hot areas, plants thrive with much less care and are much more rewarding. The only precaution one has to take is not to grown bulbs from cold areas in the hot climate. Simply putting it, all that glitters is not gold :mrgreen:

Will keep posting the pics. Right now I have some problem with my browser and am unable to upload pics.

regards
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Few more pics to share, not of Azalea though :)

Zantedeschia

Cyclamen

Begonias from neighbours home. The guy is 80 years old and can be seen in his garden all day.

regards
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:The pots look to be of 8-10 inch size,how often do you fertilize them.
Arif sb, the pots are much smaller. I fertilized them only once, after 15 days with a Plant Prod Ultimate 15:30:15 fertilizer (water soluable) and will do that again after a week or so. BTW, more time I am spending with gardners here, more I realise that we, in Pakistan, have a climate much conducive to gardening. These guys have lots and lots of problem which they overcome with technology, superior knowledge and hard work. But its not easy like Pakistan :)
regards
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Tuberous Begonia,Cyclamen,Azelea,Calla lilly all my favorites but we can not grow it in our plains.They use peat moss & liquid fertilizer so the pot size does not matter.The non stop Begonia is very nice.

Return to “KBW's Garden”