Plant Lover Reborn!!

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Plant Lover Reborn!!

Post by KBW » March 26th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions brothers. Obliged. :)

The problem is that I do not have detail soil test report. So I am not sure which mineral are lacking or surplus. Therefore I am careful about resorting to a harsh treatement at once. There are around 20 newly planted roses and lot of annuals already planted in the bed and at the moment, I am a little busy during day times, even on weekends. So I might not be able to supervise regularly which is essential. That is the reason I want to go slow and see the results. Do something which is easy for the mali to do, once told, without much of supervision.

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad » March 26th, 2013, 10:28 pm

your rock container beds are looking good, quite a unique setting there really liked it!!
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique » March 27th, 2013, 11:45 am

@KBW your lawn is looking great. Beautiful landscaping too.
For ph I have to share a bit…
Most of the annual don’t bother about the ph of soil they can grow well in wider range of PH.
But if soil is more alkaline then most of the hybrid tea roses would mind it.
Best suggestion offered from @aykhan and @farhan. Either you can sprinkle elemental sulfur or do mulching with leaves fertilizer. Both methods are slow and continuous.
As per information both of these ways are safest to decrease the ph as they do it slowly.
Secondly sir quality of water at your place is also important. As mostly water is alkaline and it increase the PH gradually continuously. If water is alkaline then the process of decreasing ph would be continuous.
Rafique

KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW » March 27th, 2013, 7:14 pm

rafique bhai, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I am already doing the leaf mould treatment. I will wait to see the result of leaf mould + SSP + gypsum treatment for sometime. It suits me as the annuals have started flowering, though not up to my desire. But I was late in plantation so that could have added to the problem. However, there is some improvement in plant health already. If the problem is not cured than I will resort to application of sulphur also. You are absolutely right about roses. In fact that is my main worry as I have planted 20 rose plants in this bed. Mind you it's only two places in the house where I have this problem. In remaining places I replaced the soil before new plantation. This includes plantation of all new palms etc. However, since this was an old bed so I thought that it would have been cured over the years but apparently not. Plants like Gazania and Nasturtium are growing well but not most other plants.

BTW, my home made super organic fertilizer will be ready in a month or two. On last Eid, I gave some money to my sweeper who relieved my neighbours of the pain of disposing off intestines (ojhri) of sacrificed animals. As I have ample area in the rear of my house, a big pit was dug and all ojhris were dumped in that alongwith whatever vegetable waste, mowed grass etc that I could collect. Also added some straw and hay obtained from a nearby rice mill. I am hoping to see a rocket fertilizer when I open the pit. Let's see.... :mrgreen:

regards

KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW » March 31st, 2013, 11:15 am

Farhan sb, first of my Aquilegias has started flowering. Hope the others will also flower soon. If they have started flowering in Okara, they should flower in Risalpur too, in my view. Few snaps.....

regards

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed » March 31st, 2013, 1:37 pm

Heartening to know.......Beautiful bloom
I think your's are dwarf so they always had a better chance. Mine are still small...and a long way to go but i have my fingers crossed :-)

KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW » March 31st, 2013, 8:13 pm

After having suffered from Rose Fever contracted from Pakistan Gardening, couldn't resist going to Pattoki today. Bought a few roses. I am not quite certain about all names though because these are what have been told by nursery wala....

Climbers:
1. Abraham Durby
2. Godlen Celebration
3. James Galway
4. Souvenir de la Malmaison night time
5. A Delbard Painter style climber. Shocking Pink large flowers with white and light pink design, fragrant.
This is the pic of un-identified climber given at serial 5 above.

Bought a few bushes also...
1. Micheal Angelo
2. First Prize
3. Electron
4. Golden Time
5. American Hero
6. Saeeda Kareem
7. Starina (after checking, I found its an orange miniature. But the one I bought is white. So name is doubtful but this is what nursery wala told me).
8. Kanchi (a locally bred, brillian yellow highly fragrant hybrid tea rose)
9. Mauris Utrillo
10. Three more bushes, names not known but they are amongst the most stunning.

I have planted the roses today. It's quite late but couldn't resist buying a few roses :mrgreen: Tried to buy large size strong plants.

Pics of un-identified roses, as taken in Nursery, are given below. Can someone help me find their names..

This is the first one. Large size flowers and very strong spicy citrus kind of fragrance. One of the best that I bought today.

This is the second one. Again, a very fragrant rose. Flowers are quite large in size.

This is the third one. Fragrant, medium size flowers.

Please help finding the names..
regards

PS: I also took pics of more than 50 roses that I came acorss in the nurseries. If the members so desire, we can open a rose data base thread which can serve as a master thread for identification of the roses. I can upload those pics and than, rose pics scattered in different threads can also be copied there, making it one wholesome thread carrying hundreds of rose pics. Expert members can give there input regarding care / maitenance of these roses.
regards

KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW » April 1st, 2013, 1:58 am

farhan137 wrote:I think your's are dwarf so they always had a better chance. Mine are still small...and a long way to go but i have my fingers crossed :-)
If they are not a dwarf variety than they shouldn't be that small by now. Are you sure they are not a dwarf cultivar?

KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW » April 1st, 2013, 2:48 am

I have found out that first rose is Helen Naude, Second is Marvelle and third is some Swanes rose. Am I right?

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed » April 1st, 2013, 7:10 pm

Sir you can post the pictures of roses that you captured, and i will try to merge others from other threads in the forum. Lets see if Umar Sb, Dr AYK and Rafique can help us in Identifying them. I will moderate the thread

Sir below is the progress on Aquilegia Viridiflora Chocolate Soldier. Seeds were from T & M sown in Oct/Nov. Its perennials with height of 12-14 inches. Presently growing horizontally, height is not more than few inches.

Return to “KBW's Garden”