Roses 2013 (newly planted, mostly)....

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Roses 2013 (newly planted, mostly)....

Post by Munir »

KBW, BTW it was in total agreement with you about a half rose that I felt sorry to learn that most of the in question roses were without fragrance. One would wish to have one with fragrance,thus difficulty in their procurement.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Beautiful collection. I am great fan of miniatures. My 80% collection is miniatures, of course all own root. I also got red ballerina and sweet magic both flower profusely. I did not see sunblaze series in your miniatures, it is must for a miniature lover.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

khabbab wrote:Beautiful collection. I am great fan of miniatures. My 80% collection is miniatures, of course all own root. I also got red ballerina and sweet magic both flower profusely. I did not see sunblaze series in your miniatures, it is must for a miniature lover.
That's very good to know. A few pics are requested.
I am looking for Sunblaze but haven't been able to lay my hands on yet. Colour is awesome and I have read that it has mild fragrance too.
Thanks for the comments Khabbab sahib. :)
regards
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Fairest Cape is doing well as you can see fresh growth on the bush. Flowers are pinched after taking the pics.

This rose has impressed me. Flower size is still small and the only flower was removed after taking the pic. Rusty brown and orange colour with a strong scent. Not bad..
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Temperature in Okara is over 100 F now but some of my roses are still flowering well though the flower size has reduced.

The small dainty ballerina is loaded with pink fragrant flowers and I can see lots of buds still forming up.

Cherry Parfait getting ready for third flush of the year. I can already see over thirty buds forming up on one bush.

Fragrant Cloud, Century II, Whiskey Mac and Electron, all ready for a third flush. Flower size is small though. Mind you these bushes get morning sun but are in shade after 2 PM.

Snowfire is also still blooming.

And so is Rhapsody in Blue and few others.

rabia
City: gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Flowering bulbs,Succulents and Cacti,Kitchen gardening,Seasonal flowers ...etc

Post by rabia »

Beautiful roses...
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Gr8 work.........good to see roses still blooming and very healthy, it must be really Hot in Okara...........Its not an ordinary job you are doing. Keep us updated. If you see them through summer and monsoon healthy.... then i must jump into Roses myself. Update awaited throughout the season.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Please to see so healthy and blooming newly planted roses. Really encouraging.
Thanks for sharing and updating....
Also mentions about the threats to roses these days in dry hot weather and its preventions measures for our knowledge .
Rafique
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

KBW good job & secondly thanks for sharing the pictures.some of my roses are in second flush but KBW i am really tired of taking pictures & uploading Ha ha ha.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

@Farhan and Rafique
In my area the bigger problem was alkaline soil which is not good for roses. I tried to improve the soil by removing some of the top soil and than mixing lot of humus material / organic fertilizers in it. Good drainage was ensured and later, I am applying SSP regularly. I strictly avoid urea / DAP or similar fertilizers. I even gave my soil some sulphur treatment and now I believe I have a neutral, if not slightly acidic soil. Roses seem to be happy with that. Soil preparation is the basic job which needs to be ensured before plantation.

Secondly, since most of my bushes (around 35, including a good number of DA roses) are grafted plants from Jul 2012, they are still not fully established. I did allow the flowers to bloom (since I wanted to take pics which is my other hobby), but I removed the flowers immediately allowing the bush to develop its roots and foliage. All flowers are generally removed as a routine, before they get old and shabby which I do everyday early morning. I do have few own root bushes which are doing well now. I am expecting all of them to be will established by fall this year.

Roses prefer a moist soil so that is to be ensured. However, good drainage is critical, specially during monsoon. Regular spray of home made insecticide (and chemicals if needed) is done to discourage aphids, thrips etc. During prime summers however, a pest threat is not very likely. Hot and dry weather will be the biggest threat in my view and one must not allow the plant to be dehydrated.

Umar bhai
You need to adopt photography as a hobby. Just buy a quality camera and you would not be tired taking pics of plants and animals rather you will be looking forward to find an opportunity to take a few snaps. :mrgreen:

Return to “KBW's Garden”