Roses 2013 (newly planted, mostly)....

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Roses 2013 (newly planted, mostly)....

Post by KBW »

Yes Khan sb I fully agree. Every colour has a place in the garden.

And how about this colour?? It's a beautiful light peach or something between peach and pink.

Too bad I don't know the name of this beautiful rose which looks like one of the DA. The petal count is around 100 and the flower size is quite large, seeing the plant which is still quite small. Has very good scent.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Its Shell pink color.one thing dear its not important that we should know the exact name of every rose nor its possible.what is important do you like the rose or any plant or not.if you like it grow it if it does not meet your expectations uproot.when i say uproot its because every gardener with a big garden or small has limited space.it may D.A & it may Perpitual.
Names or IDs are important when you want to plant annuals.because the hight,flowering time time really depends on variety.Like Floral showers is a dwarf snap dragon which is day-night neutral & will flower in autumn or early spring.Sonnet is mid hight snaps requiring 10 hours day hours to flower & there fore are late bloomers.for roses this is different.yes you will need to keep the dwarf hight in front & tall in back but once you know that the tall is in front you can replant it again in winter in its right place.but annuals are planted & flowers in the single season.i think you got mu point.plus when you are a rose grower you will also need some annuals.like pansy will flower in autumn when the roses are in dormancy or you have pruned the bushes.Late blooming snaps & petunia when you bushes have ended their first flush of flowers & need feeding.
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

I agree with you Umar bhai regarding the names of roses. It's very confusing and nowadays, I am extensively consulting various rose data bases available on the net. There are so many roses with similar flowers that in order to identify a rose accurately, one has to go in details like shape of foliage, petal count, type of scent,thorns, height / spread of the bush etc etc. It's a tough ask HOWEVER ITS VERY DIFFICULT TO DIGEST THAT ONE DOESN'T KNOW THE NAME OF THE PLANT HE LIKES SO MUCH :mrgreen:

I think this is incurable and will continue like that. :(

In the meanwhile, Henri Matisse is flowering very well for me. Clusters of flowers though the size is still not good but the bush is healthy. This was a two years old bush that I bought and it's doing great.

It appears that my camera lens doesn't like pink. The flowers are much more beautiful than what they appear in the pics and the shade is also a little different.

And finally the Night Life climber with its bright yellow strongly scented flowers which have red edges. The scent is very sharp at night.
Night Life bush is growing well and I am expecting a good bloom next year.
Last edited by KBW on April 29th, 2013, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

I know that patio and miniature roses are not very popular with the rose lovers here and in fact they are no match to larger hybrid teas / floribundas but I believe they have a place in the rose garden. They consume less space and look different. Many of them have small size light green leaves which adds to beauty. Some of the varieties are scented too and flower profusely most part of the year.

So.... sharing a few patio roses / miniatures. :)

This unknown patio rose has a very beautiful bush. The flowers are beautiful peach with a classic hybrid tea shape in small size. Is lightly scented. Each stems has 6 to 8 small beautiful flowers and I can already see buds developing on at least 8 stems on one plant. I am expecting one plant to have over 50 flowers.

This is Tangerine Tango. A beautiful bush with clusters of lightly scented small size flowers which resemble Scentimental a lot but are much smaller in size. Flowers profusely most part of the year.

Ballerina... very graceful, beautiful bush which is always loaded with bloom. Lightly scented. Not a classic patio rose as it grows much bigger in time but the leave style and texture is of patio roses.

Sweet Magic, a miniature. Nice tiny flowers and lots of them.

Cider Cup, the bush is full of small light peach flowers that turn cream, ultimately.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Come on KBW, these ( patio & miniature ) roses may be lesser in size but not in beauty from the other roses.Why have you been holding them back?
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Actually I've been sold on the idea of miniature roses this year. I have planted some for the front of a border and I too think they are charming. Almost constantly in profuse bloom.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Munir bhai, I heard no one talking of patio / miniature roses on the forum so I concluded that they were not "in". :D

Yes I agree, they have their own place in the garden. I found them to be the best for the pots. Their performance is not affected in the pots while the bigger roses, whatever one may do, do not perform as well in pots as they do in the ground. Also in a small size verandas where a bigger hybrid tea will completely look out of place, a patio rose would just look appropriate. Flower size is small but there are so many of them round the year and than, when you are setting them in a smaller landscape, they fit in fine. However, I have seen that if we plant them in a bigger setting, they just tend to loose their overall impact, unless it's a bulk plantation.

The only thing I don't like about patio / minatures is that most of them are not fragrant and for me, a rose without scent is 'just half a rose'. :)
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Thank you. I am going to try these next time. Wish you had not written the last line,but will look for the 'full rose' out of these.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Munir bhai, the last line of my post is just a personal preference otherwise there are hundreds of very popular non-fragrant rose cultivars selling very well in the market. However, I personally feel that scent is a very important factor when we talk of roses. Afterall, king of flowers must possess all the attributes of a flower. :)
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I agree, fragrance completes a rose. On the other hand beauty like that found in Delbards Painters Collection cannot be ignored despite lack of fragrance.

Return to “KBW's Garden”