Roses - 2015

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Roses - 2015

Post by KBW »

Few clicks of my roses taken recently. Taking photos not only satisfies my passion for photography, it also serves as a visual record of what I have and how it is growing. BTW, less one odd rose that has mild scent, all other roses in my garden are highly fragrant. I strongly believe that a rose without scent is just half a rose.

You would notice that by mid May, size of flowers has almost shrunk to half of what it was in April.

Violette Perfumee in Apr. It's soon becoming one of my favourite roses. It's one of the strongest scented roses that I have come across. Has an old rose fragrance, as strong as the english roses bred in late 19th and early 20th century

By mid May, the bloom size has shrunken to half and the shade has gone paler; a lavender shade and not deep magenta with a tinge of violet that it was in April when the weather was cooler. The fragrance has also reduced but is still stronger than all other roses that I have which include quite a few heavily scented DAs like Golden Celebration etc

I love the shade and fragrance of Whisky Mac

And Gold Medal has a very nice and strong fragrance. Love it.

Latest pic. The size has reduced and so has fragrance but it is still good enough.

The McCartney has a very sweet smell and nice blooms in clusters of baby pink.

William Morris is a delightful David Austin. Very nice salmon peach colour, strong fragrance and typical cupped bloom. In mid May, blooms have gone quite small comparatively though the bush is thriving outstandingly and still producing lot of buds

Double Delight is another favourite of mine. Delightful blooms with strong scent.

Westerland just doesn't stop producing salmon orange colour very fragrant blooms. Everytime I see, there are quite a few buds blooming though the size has reduced drastically in mid May. A wonderful rose to have.

And Scentimental needs no introduction. I have an old bush which has always few flowers on it.

Most of my roses here have been purchased from UK, Germany and USA and quite a few of them are on own roots.

Stay tuned, more to come....... 8-)
farah fayyaz
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Re: Roses - 2015

Post by farah fayyaz »

Well done. I am very pleased that I can get some of them in their season. Specially I am anxiously waiting for the cuttings of Violette Perfumee. As far as it comes saving cuttings, I always failed . Don't know the reason. Even not a single stem survived. I take cuttings in December and burry them in siol in shade.
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Farah
One has to do some homework while planting the cuttings. We will talk about it in detail before the season starts. :)
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Few more clicks....

Jasmina is a splendid bush that can be trained as a climber as well. Loads of light pink mildly fragrant flower on a healthy bush that grows on top speed.

Though the fragrance is not that strong but I love Burgundy Iceberg for all other qualities that it possesses as a rose. Though healthy, this is a first year bush and I usually deadhead buds first year. However, despite clear instruction my Mali did not remove the buds when I was abroad and when I came back, the small bush had over 20 buds. I took the pics and removed all the buds.

And today, we had strong rain which didn't turn out good for the flowers and I found lot of petals spread on the ground. Few strong ones survived though..... pics were taken just after rain

farah fayyaz
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

Lovely roses
muhammadimran7
City: rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: growing from seeds

Post by muhammadimran7 »

beautiful indeed
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Thanks everyone...
Few more clicks taken recently. Weather is getting hot so the blooms are getting less, smaller and loosing the fragrance. In hot sun during summers, sometimes even the most fragrant roses do not have any noticeable fragrance.

I really like the small dandy friesia with it's strong scent and wonderful shade. But unfortunately, this one is Pattoki bred so will take two years in becoming a strong bush and I will have to take care of the infant that we are supplied with in Pakistan. I will talk more on this issue in a separate thread. I am deadheading the buds because the plant is very weak. Only one bud allowed to bloom and removed immediately after taking the pics. :mrgreen:

This Whisky Mac bush is in the third year. A healthy bush that is continuously on bloom even in end may. The fragrance has reduced but is still there at night and early morning. Just see the orange shade..... .love it :ugeek:

I really like the dark pink shade of Signature. Petals with white reverse really look cool and the fragrance is fantastic. However, this is again a weak bush in first year. Will take more than a year to grow into a strong bush.... same issue. Bush is being continuously deadheaded less for this flower which was kept for pics... 8-)
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Where are all the roserians BTW :?

Can't see Umar sb, Dr sahib, rafiq sb, mikhurram, mustansir........ looks everyone is on holidays :(
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

All are active on Facebook...
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Ah.... Facebook. Is there an alternate forum on Facebook?

Return to “KBW's Garden”