A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

Raja_Qaiser
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: New to Gardening.

Re: Roses - 2015

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

Thank you Izhar bahi.
Bat to Arif bahi ki sach ha, waisey ye KBW bahi hi han jinoh ne itney Roses ko sanbhal k rakhay hoay han or wo b fragrant or humain nursury walay kehtey han "English Gulab m Khushbo kahan hoti ha" bus Desi ha hamaray pass [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12].
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Jis pind nahi jana otha rahh ki puchna. :mrgreen:
Sir ye kufran e naimat hai. :D

I resisted roses for around three decades but finally I realised that there is hardly anything that competes a rose. Actually, once you get into the groove, caring for roses becomes easier than so many other plants that we grow. I find roses much easier to grow than say bulbs, ferns, tropical plants, orchids etc. Tried all of them and learnt that a garden is not complete without a few bushes of strongly fragrant roses. They have to be fragrant as a rose without fragrance is just half a rose. May give it a try again Sir :)

regards
hnasir
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

KBW wrote:
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Jis pind nahi jana otha rahh ki puchna. :mrgreen:
They have to be fragrant as a rose without fragrance is just half a rose

regards
I feel the same way. In the past i was deceived many times by nurserymen k english gulab main khushboo nahi. Ironically, it is the david austin english roses which have astounding fragrances!
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Maria Shriver and Double Delight are most fragrant english gulaabz I came across..
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

I totally agree that a rose without fragrance is half a rose. For me, Asma sharifa and Princess Alexandra Kent are the most fragrant ones in my garden.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

All roses mentioned above are in the category of Highly Fragrant roses. However, I have observed over the years that fragrance is not a constant factor, even if a rose is rated as Highly Fragrant. Intensity of fragrance keeps changing with change in climate, weather, soil texture / composition and it may even differ during different times on the same day on the same bush.

Most roses smell more intensely in cooler climates but few may become more fragrant in warmer climates. Sharifa Asma is an example. In cool / cold climates, it is normally rated as a medium fragrance rose but in Pakistan, most roserians rate it as a highly fragrant rose.

I am in the process of documenting a list of roses that retain their fragrance during most parts of the year, especially during hot weather.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Few latest click...

This cluster had over 12 buds and when they started blooming, it bent down and almost broke. Amazing to see such a big cluster in June :shock:

Before rain...

After rain....

And this is not a bouquet. This is a cluster of over 20 small size (1.5-2") mildly scented flowers. I really love this rose

regards
farah fayyaz
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

Wonderful collection. Your posts widen my eyes to saucers.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Thanks. It seems my passion for roses and photography is clicking well :)
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Double Delight stopped blooming when the pot was kept in full sun. It actually stopped growing and I could hardly see new shoots. I shifted it to part shade and it has started reblooming and there are so many new shoots coming up. Same happened with Friesia. It is back when placed in part shade and a cooler location.

Return to “KBW's Garden”