Munir Sb's Garden

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Munir's Garden - Fruit Trees/Vines

Post by Munir »

Deleted due non-printing of pictures
Last edited by Munir on July 27th, 2013, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.

Re: Munir's Garden - Fruit Trees/Vines

Post by Munir »

There is relatively less talk of fruit trees on the Forum. To kindle some interest in this important component of a garden,here is an account of my experience in growing grape vines, of which Farhan also made a mention in his Post Visit remarks.

I presently have 9 grapevines,out of which three oldest(3-4 years) of unknown variety,are bearing fruit - other 6 are still young & are known varieties suitable for this area, ie King's Ruby,Pearlet,Flame seedless & Black NARC, which should bear fruit in 2 years time. Green Grapes from two of the three fruit bearing vines are shown:
20130702_105020.jpg
20130702_110440 - Copy.jpg
I took the Ist harvest around 26 June & the last one on 7July,when grapes had not appeared in the market till then.The size of the grapes was slightly bigger than Sunder Khani,but were a little less sweet.

Purple colour grapes of smaller size on another vine (likely Black NARC) were ready for harvesting/lasted a week later.
20130714_161359.jpg
Based on a very rewarding experience of mine,I wish to suggest to all members to grow in their gardens as many fruit trees as possible including grape vines-at least one plant as it requires very less space, minimal care/maintenance & can be grown even in large containers- one of mine in a large gamla is doing fine.If two plants are grown ,then they should be minimum 8 ft apart, to allow 4' growth either side.I recommend one each of King's Ruby(purple),Flame seedless(green) & Pearlet( green). This is the right season/time to plant grape vine.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Munir Sb's Garden

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Delicious harvest!
Can Grape vine grow and give fruit in Karachi? Although I have listened that it can not but wanted to confirm with experienced gardening members.
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

Not sure, but will check up & get back.Best would be to ask a good Nursery. Perhaps, Mr Farooq would be able to advise with authenticity.
In my view,the key consideration is that the harvesting must be completed before Monsoon, as the grapes crop gets damaged by rains.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

WOW..mouth watering display munir sb....but for us angoor khate hain...hahahahha.. great you are enjoying tastes of nature..
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

Great.. Sir.
Where can I find grapes vines that you have mentioned(King's Ruby(purple),Flame seedless(green) & Pearlet( green)), in Isd/pindi?
Javed Ashraf.
Munir
Donor
Donor

Re: Munir's Garden

Post by Munir »

jdashraf wrote:Great.. Sir.
Where can I find grapes vines that you have mentioned(King's Ruby(purple),Flame seedless(green) & Pearlet( green)), in Isd/pindi?
Most private nurseries sell Grape plants,as also other fruit trees,of unknown variety. I know of only two sources who sell known varieties; One- NARC Islamabad Horticulture Div,who presently have only King's Ruby plants (@ Rs.50); as per them the others will be available in Jan & second source-a private nursery in rural Gujar Khan,who has all four varieties available(@Rs.80)-contact Ishfaq(owner) 0344-5313625.If you can't arrange let me know,but then you will have to wait.
A correction about suitable varieties I had earlier listed. Flame Seedless is also a purple/red colour variety- not green that I had said, but it is now extinct, being just like King's Ruby. I had not mentioned ' Cardinal', which too is a purple colour variety, but seeded like Black NARC.
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

munir wrote:
jdashraf wrote:Great.. Sir.
Most private nurseries sell Grape plants,as also other fruit trees,of unknown variety. I know of only two sources who sell known varieties; One- NARC Islamabad Horticulture Div,who presently have only King's Ruby plants (@ Rs.50); as per them the others will be available in Jan & second source-a private nursery in rural Gujar Khan,who has all four varieties available(@Rs.80)-contact Ishfaq(owner) 0344-5313625.If you can't arrange let me know,but then you will have to wait.
A correction about suitable varieties I had earlier listed. Flame Seedless is also a purple/red colour variety- not green that I had said, but it is now extinct, being just like King's Ruby. I had not mentioned ' Cardinal', which too is a purple colour variety, but seeded like Black NARC.
Sir, Thx.
I have already planted two plants of grapes vines, purchased from local nursery, but have no idea about their types. I ll call Ishfaq in Gujar Khan, if he can some how send the plants to me, otherwise I ll request and bother you sir for the favour.
Javed Ashraf.
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

Last of the surviving summer annuals, Cockscomb & Celosia Plumosa in my Garden are shown below.Since they have bloomed late,I intend to retain them for another 7-10 days, before they are removed to make room for Marigolds to be planted between 15-20 sep.
@ Umar. I recall seeing your Marigolds fairly tall some days ago,which could possibily be in buds now.That gives me a feeling that it may be too late,if I delay planting seedlings of Marigold till 20 Sep ? what do you suggest?

Cockscomb,after recovery from a pest attack:
20130819_172909.jpg
20130819_172909.jpg (102.96 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
20130819_172840.jpg
20130819_172840.jpg (96.38 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Yellow preparing to bloom
20130826_145952.jpg
20130826_145952.jpg (106.13 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Celosia in the next post...
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

Celosia
20130831_110820.jpg
20130831_110820.jpg (127.34 KiB) Viewed 7530 times
20130831_110851.jpg
20130831_110851.jpg (116.19 KiB) Viewed 7530 times
20130831_110858.jpg
20130831_110858.jpg (106.74 KiB) Viewed 7530 times

Return to “Munir's Garden”