Site Admin
City: Karachi

My Shade Plants

Post by mirafzalkhan »

Caladium from last year saved bulbs.

UMAR KHAN

Re: My Shade Plants

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Exotic foliage! specially the caladium,very exotic!
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Lovely Mir sb. my Caladiums were planted late and are just peeking through the soil surface. What about your Thai Aglaonema? mine got intense beating in winter winds but are coming back nicely.
zaib
City: Islamabad

Post by zaib »

nice. It look like made of plastic.
--------------
Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. ~Lou Erickson
ayub

Post by ayub »

nice plants Mir Afzal sahb
Whats the name of that red flowered vine hanging in a small pot in the last pic?
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mirafzalkhan »

Izhar, my Aglaonema also coming back. My Aglaonema was in shade but it was bright & basically it is a Low light plant too much light may cause its leaves to fade. So it is a very good indoor plant. Now I transferred it to indoor and will keep you update about progress.

Ayub, the hanging plant is DISCHIDIA PECTINOIDES (Ant Plant). It is a little climber grown indoors or in bright shade. It is an air plant and should not be grown in soil. Normally small, hanging baskets with an 'Orchid Bark Mix' is used. Smaller pots are preferred. Some of its leaves look likes tiny balloons. In nature, the balloon type leaves provide shelter for ants in exchange for carbon dioxide. It is an epiphyte vine related to Hoyas.

saqib
City: Gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Perennials,Bulbs

Post by saqib »

mashallah
chickoo34
City: karachi

Post by chickoo34 »

sir, your coleus are also looking very nice....plz give some instruction to grow it i.e
1)Are they perennials?
2)how much direct sunlight your coleus receive?
3)what size of pot would be suitable for them?
4)what do u feed them nd how frequent...?
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mirafzalkhan »

The Coleus plants in above pictures are not Perennials, they cannot tolerate the hot summers, some coleus variates are Perennials but not beautiful as annuals. The Coleus season is from Oct to end of April. The very good alternative for Coleus in summer months is Caladium. The heart liked leaf plants in above pictures are caladiums. You can grow caladiums now, they are very easy plants not require much care & grow well in semi shade.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Just beautiful caladiums. I planted some 20 different Caladium bulbs in pots bought from Pride Seed. Three have sprouted so far. The coleus is also very beautiful and Mir saheb you really keep your plants clean and healthy. Things look so much better when they are clean. Maybe there is more sand than fine dust in Karachi. In Lahore plants ges dusty very soon and daily washing foliage is not healthy nor practical and easy.

For me my coleus have been perennials. They did well in the hot summer and survived the winter with some difficulty. I keep them where they mostly get shade or bright filtered light.

Return to “Mir Afzal's Shade Garden”