problems with bulbs

Cultivation Guide for various Bulbous Plants in Our Climate

Moderator: Izhar

Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Re: problems with bulbs

Post by Kaleem »

I am really impressed with your idea of recycling of used Fruit Crates, if these bags have proper drainage then there is some thing wrong with potting mixture or excess use of fertilizer. Roots of the bulbs are not healthy if we observe your bulbs closely.
What have you used for potting mixture?
Kaleem
Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Kaleem wrote:I am really impressed with your idea of recycling of used Fruit Crates, if these bags have proper drainage then there is some thing wrong with potting mixture or excess use of fertilizer. Roots of the bulbs are not healthy if we observe your bulbs closely.
What have you used for potting mixture?
I use the normal potting mix. Two parts sand and one part fertiliser. I feed all of my plants with NPK once a month. About the roots, sir, they look so unhealthy as they were in really small pots for a very long time. And i had shifted them only a couple of days before thier transplant. That may be the case. I havent checked on thier roots again, as the experienced gardeners told me about the transplant shock. But now as i see my rain lillie, they are doing just fine, and still not fowering. So i am waiting patiently.
Muhammad Bilal
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Madiha, by one part fertilizer do u mean compost (organic matter) ??

I have read ur post. Not blooming of bulbs may be due to; not have been stored properly by the seller, the flower bud may have been dead, insufficient food in the bulb, late planting of bulbs, overwatering and over fertilizing may be the causes.

I think, u had to not transplant ur bulbs at this time as this is the growing period. Also the 2nd mistake u did, after transplanting, u put them in the sun. After transplanting the bulbs u should kept them in shade for some days. Transplanting plants in day time is not recommended. This should done in early in the morning or in cloudy or evening time. and before transplanting plants they should watered well.

In the pic, I see, u did not planted ur bulbs so deep in the crates. They should be planted 5-6 inches deep in the soil or three times deeper than its size.

Anyway, wish u the best, hope the next year ur bulbs bloom stunningflowers.
Learn & Share
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

smartline256 wrote:Madiha, by one part fertilizer do u mean compost (organic matter) ??

I have read ur post. Not blooming of bulbs may be due to; not have been stored properly by the seller, the flower bud may have been dead, insufficient food in the bulb, late planting of bulbs, overwatering and over fertilizing may be the causes.

I think, u had to not transplant ur bulbs at this time as this is the growing period. Also the 2nd mistake u did, after transplanting, u put them in the sun. After transplanting the bulbs u should kept them in shade for some days. Transplanting plants in day time is not recommended. This should done in early in the morning or in cloudy or evening time. and before transplanting plants they should watered well.

In the pic, I see, u did not planted ur bulbs so deep in the crates. They should be planted 5-6 inches deep in the soil or three times deeper than its size.

Anyway, wish u the best, hope the next year ur bulbs bloom stunningflowers.

yes sir, by fertiliser i mean organic compost, as for the sun part i did make that mistake. and the depth, has already been readjusted, as i had to raise the levels of the soil in my crates as suggested by the other gardeners. my lillies still have some foliage on them, but i think thier dormancy period is very near as the foliage is not that abundant as before. but no issues, we always learn by making mistakes. i hope they make me happy in the next season. i am very grateful for all your advice, and hope for some more when in trouble.
Muhammad Bilal
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

yes Madiha we learn by our mistakes. I am an agriculture graduate but still a learner. I never hesitate to ask from others which I dont know. Learning process goes to the death.

When the leaves of bulb start getting yellow its mean they dont want to alive more and have completed their period outside the soil and now they want to go into the dormacy. untill leaves are green, they make food for the bulb and it store in it. bulb get more healthy. apply a small quantity of DAP. This will make ur bulb more healthy and strong.

Thank u and u r always welcome.
Learn & Share
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Dear gardeners,
I am as yet unable to find any tube roses in Karachi. Can you please help me and tell me where I can find them in Karachi.
Thank you
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Abdul Seed Store at Empress Market Saddar and Sunset Boulevard DHA..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I have wasted 1/2 hour to decide as what to say and all I can say is TAKE IT EASY.
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Izhar wrote:Abdul Seed Store at Empress Market Saddar and Sunset Boulevard DHA..
thank you very much sir
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Muhammad Bilal wrote:yes Madiha we learn by our mistakes. I am an agriculture graduate but still a learner. I never hesitate to ask from others which I dont know. Learning process goes to the death.

When the leaves of bulb start getting yellow its mean they dont want to alive more and have completed their period outside the soil and now they want to go into the dormacy. untill leaves are green, they make food for the bulb and it store in it. bulb get more healthy. apply a small quantity of DAP. This will make ur bulb more healthy and strong.

Thank u and u r always welcome.
Why do you recommend DAP?, DAP is 18% Nitrogen, 46% P and no K, I have come to accept an NPK ratio of 2-1-3 is better for the BULBs
Others may not agree with me but should chip in .
Arif

Return to “Bulb Growing Guides”