Tuber Rose Bulb

Cultivation Guide for various Bulbous Plants in Our Climate

Moderator: Izhar

Newgardener
City: Islamabad.
Gardening Interests: A new enthusiastic gardener.Want to learn the art from the seniors about the subject on all plants.

Tuber Rose Bulb

Post by Newgardener »

Dear All,

I have bought some tuber rose bulb and plant them in pot(the first experience of my life).Is this the right time to plant them ? As the shopkeeper (Awan Seeds Store RWP) told me i can plant them in this season .

Best Regards
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Re: Tuber Rose Bulb

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Tube rose is hardy summer bulb, planted in early spring and it bloom in summer when the climate is warm. Bulb first established their root and then sprout leaves.

U r though a bit late. u should had to planted it in early spring but, it is ok planting tuberose in April.
Learn & Share
Newgardener
Gardening Interests: A new enthusiastic gardener.Want to learn the art from the seniors about the subject on all plants.

Post by Newgardener »

Thank u very much Bilal sb for the update and good new s that i still can plant tuberose bulb to enjoy my first experience.
Can u please further help me about the fertilizer which i have mentioned in my post need information about fertilizer.I will be very thankful.
Regards,

Mehr Khan
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

if u r using well porous, aerated, drained loamy or bhal soil with lot of organic matter like leafmold or animal manure or both then u dont need any kind of fertilizer to add it.
anyway, phophorous are good for the healthy roots promotion and Nitrogen promote healthy leafs.

U can use DAP, a teaspoon is enough for a plant for a month.

Over fertilizer and over watering may kill ur plant. So carefully use fertilizer and apply water when 1 inch of upper soil get dry. use well drained soil and not the heavy one.
Learn & Share
Newgardener

Post by Newgardener »

AOA Bilal Sb
Thank you very much sir for your guidance and help.
Further more i have planted some Gladiolus bulb on 27.04.2014.I have mix the soil+ Peatmoss+some old cow manure+ a bit bone meal+some kahoon organic fertilizer along with some micro nutrients ie (Boron+Coper+Magnese+Iron+Zinic) about two tea spoon for 12 bulb (6 pots)Am i over fertilizing?
Will it survive the heat and bloom for me this year?

Best Regards

Mehr Khan
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Glades are summer tender bulbous plant. Some varieties are more heat tolerant.
Well drain Soil+Organic matter + bone meal were enough for the lush green plantings.
but it is still not over fertilizing.
Learn & Share
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Newgardener wrote:AOA Bilal Sb
Thank you very much sir for your guidance and help.
Further more i have planted some Gladiolus bulb on 27.04.2014.I have mix the soil+ Peatmoss+some old cow manure+ a bit bone meal+some kahoon organic fertilizer along with some micro nutrients ie (Boron+Coper+Magnese+Iron+Zinic) about two tea spoon for 12 bulb (6 pots)Am i over fertilizing?
Will it survive the heat and bloom for me this year?

Best Regards

Mehr Khan
Oo my God you are making it toooooo difficult for yourself self :) :D
With respect to both members I would like to say something, tuberose is a very easy going plant in our climate, even if you would plant it somewhere in your garden and forget about it even then it will survive and bloom for you, I m keeping tuberose for many years in simple garden soil they multiply every year and bloom profusely.
And for glads this is not the right time to plant, recommend time is fall somewhere around December but if you have planted them then its all right as this is the only way to secure them for following season, I have also planted few in March just to complete their life cycle.
Now regarding fertiliser and all those difficult stuff , you dont need to worry about it coz these plants are very easy going and don't require any fuss, just leep your gardening simple except if something really require or if someone recommend something for special reason for a specific plant, for general purpose you may use bhall with organic fertilizer means manure and even if bhall is not available I use garden soil with some sand and manure or if compost is easily available then thats a bonus.

Again it was my personal opinion it may differ from other's practice.

I hope this may help

Happy gardening :)
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Agree with Hamad...
Newgardener

Post by Newgardener »

AOA Hamad & Bilal &Izhar Sb

Thank you very much for the guidance and simplifying the matters.I think It is just the excitement of a new gardener.Actually I have bought a lot of plant which i should not have due to the old concept of gardening i.e. buy a pot and water it and that's all.After buying the plants have the curiosity about their name and care,while searching happened to come across pakistan gardening forum.After going through the forum i came to know what is actually gardening mean.Thank you pakistangardening forum.

Regarding the glads,a new shop of Awan Gardens was opened in PWD (I am also living there) he told me that they have just import these bulb from Holland and i can plant them now and i was just after them for new experiment without knowing their growing season.

Insha Allah Now all the new experiment will be under guidance of all you guys and i hope i will be a good gardener in future and hoping for continuous help from all senior fellows.

God bless you all and thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Mehr Khan
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Mehr you are always welcome and ask as many questions you like to ask, and the excitement is valid there is nothing wrong with it rather it prove how keen and serious you are, this forum is a great learning platform for us and I learnt a lot from it.
For glads just be vigilant and take extra care, try to keep them in half shade and only morning sun is recommended and they may or may not flower but that's not a big deal what you have to do is take them out at the end means when the leaves turned yellow and remember no water when they start turning yellow or minimum water and at the end dig them out take of the dust and leaves and store them at a cool place in cardboard box or onion sack.
But on the other end for tuberose leave them in ground and they will flourish at their own.
And keep all the fertilizer with you dont discard them you may need them for some other plants aand as your collection will grow you will not have time even basics will be hard to do.

Happy gardening :)

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Bulb Growing Guides”