Tuber Rose Bulb

Cultivation Guide for various Bulbous Plants in Our Climate

Moderator: Izhar

Newgardener
City: Islamabad.
Gardening Interests: A new enthusiastic gardener.Want to learn the art from the seniors about the subject on all plants.

Re: Tuber Rose Bulb

Post by Newgardener »

Thank you very much Hamad and will give a SOS call if having some problem.My tuber rose have sprout out about half inches.Insha Allah will post some photos in future for further guidance.

Regards

Mehr
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

I have planted Gladez in pots here in my home in April month, using soil media as garden soil+organic matter +sand. With no chemical or synthetical fertilizers. They all are sprouted. Also we have gladez in full son here in our office bed. we plant them in april month every year when temperature gets some warm. And this is in our practice from a long.
Just what is different in Quetta and Islamabad is Temperature. Quetta is an temperate region and Islamabad, probably, Tropical.
Learn & Share
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Remember bulbs already have enough food in it to sprout and bloom.

I m sure ur bulbs still will sprout and bloom but remember never keep over watering practice. use well drain soil media. over watering in Gladez cause of root rot fungus disease. which destroy the plant.

with best regards.
Learn & Share
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

You are right Bilal its the climate, we are not exactly tropical but if I m not wrong we are subtropical, but even then in some cases or plants you could plant them late just to complete the life cycle so that you we could use them for following season I have also planted some Gladiolus bulbs in March and they have sprouted and growing but I cant expose them to full sun as its too hot for them.
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

*Sorry "full sun" and not "full son". typing mistake.

Thank u Hamad
Learn & Share
Newgardener
Gardening Interests: A new enthusiastic gardener.Want to learn the art from the seniors about the subject on all plants.

Post by Newgardener »

Thank you Bilal and Hamad for enlightening me about Gladiolus.

Should i water the tuber rose lightly (misting) on daily basis?As the temperature is going on and my pots are on the roof top in full sun about 8 hours.

When should i water the Glad again after planting them,I planted them on 27th April?They are also on roof top and getting full sun about 7 hours.(morning till afternoon)

Regards,
Mehr
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Newgardener wrote:Thank you Bilal and Hamad for enlightening me about Gladiolus.

Should i water the tuber rose lightly (misting) on daily basis?As the temperature is going on and my pots are on the roof top in full sun about 8 hours.

When should i water the Glad again after planting them,I planted them on 27th April?They are also on roof top and getting full sun about 7 hours.(morning till afternoon)

Regards,
Mehr
if upper topsoil of ur pots get dry up to 1 inch, u can water them. Now a days, days are too hot, inspect ur plants daily for water need. when they need water them. Put a shaded cloth over them. This will make cool and favorable environment around them. Otherwise excess heat stress may burn ur plants. afternoon direct sunlight in tropical area is dangerous for home plants.
Learn & Share
Newgardener

Post by Newgardener »

Thank you Bilal and will take care as advised.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

I am surprised to see the advice being offered for Gladiolus which are mostly wrong. All of my replies below are about Gladiolus only.
by Muhammad Bilal » April 29th, 2014, 10:27 pm
IP:
Glades are summer tender bulbous plant. Some varieties are more heat tolerant.
Well drain Soil+Organic matter + bone meal were enough for the lush green plantings.
Debatable to the degree to which they are heat tolerant to our zone in our plains which tends to fall between 10 and 11. I fail to understand why they are summer tender bulbous plants. Please clarify. It may hold true only with respect to the weather in western countries like Holland, UK and Germany etc.

[quote by Newgardener » April 28th, 2014, 3:23 pm
Further more i have planted some Gladiolus bulb on 27.04.2014.I have mix the soil+ Peatmoss+some old cow manure+ a bit bone meal+some kahoon organic fertilizer along with some micro nutrients ie (Boron+Coper+Magnese+Iron+Zinic) about two tea spoon for 12 bulb (6 pots)Am i over fertilizing?
Will it survive the heat and bloom for me this year? ][/quote]

No need to add any peatmoss, cow manure, and fertlizers or micro nutrients at this age. Our ordinary garden soil is sufficient which can be enriched by compost preferably like leaf mold. Fertlizers should only be added in the growth stage. Furthermore application of fertlizers when the weather has already touched temperature of 43' C and poised to touch 49'C within a month is a bad idea as the it stress the bulbs/plants which struggle to survive in our excessive heat zone in May, June, July and August.

Also barring Amaryllises which are exceptionally hardy, bulbs even like Gladiolus should NOT be planted at this time as they will be undergoing the dormancy period. Better to place them in chillers from May till August and plant them in September based on planting in our plains. The only exception would be colder regions like Murree, Chitral etc.

by Hamad » April 30th, 2014, 12:18 am

And for glads this is not the right time to plant, recommend time is fall somewhere around December but if you have planted them then its all right as this is the only way to secure them for following season, I have also planted few in March just to complete their life cycle.
Now regarding fertiliser and all those difficult stuff , you dont need to worry about it coz these plants are very easy going and don't require any fuss,just leep your gardening simple except if something really require or if someone recommend something for special reason for a specific plant, for general purpose you may use bhall with organic fertilizer means manure and even if bhall is not available I use garden soil with some sand and manure or if compost is easily available then thats a bonus.
Hamad
Yes this is not the right time to Glads to which i agree but December is not only the ideal time as it can also be plant sequentially from Sept till February here in Punjab. I am also a bit mystified by your statement that
"it's all right if they have been planted now and and this is the only away to secure the for the following season."

Kindly elucidate as i feel the weather is too hot to plant them now and planting them now when they will be undergoing dormancy would not be ideal and is not the only way to secure them for the following season. Even if they are planted now the bulbs would probably survive and not all of them would bloom in winter or spring.

Now let me tell how it's done professionally by the growers here in Punjab.
The bulbs have already undergone a chilling treatment by the time they arrive here in Pakistan in September. Yields can be obtained within 90-120 days. To ensure a yield by December, the bulbs are plant in September. To achieve blooms at end of December or 1st week of January these chilled bulbs are planted in October. Thus the planting is done sequentially till February which is the cut-off date. In April the bulbs uprooted from the fields are placed in plastic cartons and placed in ice-chillers facilities till end of August.

The reason i am going through these details is that it's important that practical advise should be offered. I felt some of the replies were textbook replies which aren't practical at all.
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Not the text book replies but I wrote what was my personal experience with gladez cultivation. Sorry, This may be differ of climate in both zones, here in mine and Islamabad region. I planted my glades in april month and they are sprouted, also in our office field beds glades are planted in the same month in open sun. And this is the practice kept by our expert from long.
Learn & Share

Return to “Bulb Growing Guides”