Urea Vs DP what to fertilize Lawn with in Late Winter

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Urea Vs DP what to fertilize Lawn with in Late Winter

Post by Rafaiy »

Have applied urea to my korean grass bed last evening and now with the constant rain hoping to achieve good results...fingers crossed :)
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Urea Vs DP what to fertilize Lawn with in Late Winter

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Rafaiy its not time for urea.Feed your grass with SSP or Dap.its time to feed Phosphorus.Urea is 46% N so no need of it.SSP has 18% P & DAP has 46% P & 18% N.Super phosphate is best if you can get in loose form.
Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Post by Rafaiy »

Thanx for the advice sir...will follow your advice for sure :)
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@ Umarkhanmardan............i tend to disagree

Phosphorous strengthens the roots system, which it does in winter. Early spring/late winter is time for green vis a vis nitrogen

"Lawns Don't Need Phosphorus
With the exception of newly seeded lawns, established lawns rarely need phosphorus to grow. While it's an essential nutrient, it's not a limiting factor to growth, and it is typically replenished naturally, particularly if lawn clippings are left to decompose after mowing. Major synthetic fertilizer-makers are now providing phosphorus-free products. Scotts, for instance, will stop including phosphorus in all lawn fertilizers by the end of 2012.'

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-home ... lizer-tips
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Garden Update 2013

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Farhan P is very very important for roots development.its good to feed grass with high Phosphorus fertilizers.its very cold now.for me spring depends on the temps.if you apply Urea these days so you are stimulating the green shoots.we are still expecting frost after the rains on Thursday.the frost damages the fresh shoots.i have feed my lawn with super phosphates.i,l show you the result in March Inshallah.i am practicing this for so many tears my friend.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I would again tend to disagree......Firstly frost is over for now in our region. Rain reduces frost and not vice versa.....our night temperatures are above 5-7 Deg Now.
I would reiterate, specialized grass feeds/fertilizers have stopped phosphorous...... Only N and K
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Rafaiy its not time for urea.Feed your grass with SSP or Dap.its time to feed Phosphorus.Urea is 46% N so no need of it.SSP has 18% P & DAP has 46% P & 18% N.Super phosphate is best if you can get in loose form.

@ Brother Umar
I too have used Urea on grass, as well as lawn & flower plants, today; any harm or benefit? Is Super Phosphate same as SSP? Is it available on seed shops or only on fertilizer outlets?
We, the less knowledgeable can keep making such errors in future also. Could you please educate us about the correct use of fertilizers i.e. Type, frequency, quantity & how to dispense. To make it brief, you could presently cover only lawn plants & grass, covering period till the spring. Hope, not asking too much?

While I was writing this, there has been a snap exchange between U & Mr. Farhan, causing further confusion. I’ll now request both of you to come out with a consensus ,for our benefit .
@ Mr. Farhan, hope you too will oblige. Ref: Your garden, is it your flower garden or the veggies'. You are so well organised, it should give anyone,jitters. I really envy you.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@munir.....
Firstly neither Nitrogen/Urea nor DP/Phosphorus will damage your grass ( other than if amount was toooooo much and anyways with flooding rains of tonight, Some part of fertilizer is expected to wash away........)
Both will benefit as both are plant nutrients, but phosphorous is over feeding as less essential this time of year
I conclude phosphorous/DP theory is fleeting with recent research......

Following are some lawn feeds available globally with their NPK ratio
Yates Lawn Fertilizer
NPK
N:21.6 – P:1 – K:4.1
http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/turf-b ... rod100050/

Scotts® Turf Builder® Lawn Fertilizer
32-0-4
http://www.yates.com.au/products/lawn-c ... wn-master/

Ringer® 0% Phosphate Lawn Restore® Fertilizer

0% phosphate formula
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/organic-lawn-care/9332
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan and Umer sahab, both of you seem to be right. Umar sahab says that phosphorous is an essential element for all plants . No one can deny that because phosphorous is a part of basic building block of all life, i.e. DNA. With that said, Farhan tends to disgree by showing that modern (and foreign) grass fertilizers don't add phosphorous anymore- the reason as he said is overfeeding phosphorous.

I think the reason for eliminating or reducing phosphate content from foreign fertilizers esp. for grasses is mainly "environmental", because phosphate is a known pollutant of underground water, lakes and the seas. By adding phosphorous we are over feeding the grasses and grasses typically have shallow root systems. Most of the (soluble) phosphate goes down. Whereever it reaches, it makes that water highly fertile and leads to overgrowth of water plants...especially algae. So in some places you will see legal issues with using phosphate - excessively. It is most likely for these reasons that foreign companies stopped adding phosphates to lawn fertilizers for the sake of minimizing this eutrophication (overgrowth) process.

I have noticed the same trend that many foreign dishwashing / laundry detergents have completely eliminated phosphate (where it helped the cleaning processes)-and have a label "phosphate free" now. The reason was that the household water eventually travelled to the seas and that led to the growth of extensive amount of red algae in the sea- covering the top layer and blocking the sunlight underneath. This led to drastic altering of the sea life system. The amount of red algae growth in the seas was so excessive that it was visible by satellites-hence the phosphate ban.

Regards,
Farooq

farhan137 wrote:@munir.....
Firstly neither Nitrogen/Urea nor DP/Phosphorus will damage your grass ( other than if amount was toooooo much and anyways with flooding rains of tonight, Some part of fertilizer is expected to wash away........)
Both will benefit as both are plant nutrients, but phosphorous is over feeding as less essential this time of year
I conclude phosphorous/DP theory is fleeting with recent research......

Following are some lawn feeds available globally with their NPK ratio
Yates Lawn Fertilizer
NPK
N:21.6 – P:1 – K:4.1
http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/turf-b ... rod100050/

Scotts® Turf Builder® Lawn Fertilizer
32-0-4
http://www.yates.com.au/products/lawn-c ... wn-master/

Ringer® 0% Phosphate Lawn Restore® Fertilizer

0% phosphate formula
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/organic-lawn-care/9332
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Farhan, I am not sure if these lawn feeds are available in Pakistan;I have not seen these or any other except DAP, Urea or NPK (1-3 formulations)on the Seed Shops, at least in my city. Some more may be available in fertilizer shops, but I don't know which. Could you guide, please? Another thing: in what all forms/ ratios/% is NPK sold in our market or is it to be prepared by the user himself & how? More ( some already pending) clarifications later....

Return to “Lawn/Grass”