how to kill the grass??

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

farhan
City: karachi

how to kill the grass??

Post by farhan »

hi all,

I have a small front lawn where i had the variety of grass known as "american ghass" in karachi. It was growing very well for 2 years, Then out of nowhere came the "local ghass" and before I knew it, it had colonized the whole lawn. I have tried everything to destroy it but nothing has worked out as of yet. I have tried not watering the lawn for a whole year (between monsoons), American grass died within a month, local grass is still alive and kicking. I have tried weedkillers, table salt (2 kilos in 1 square meter area), toilet cleaning acid, boiling water and nothing has worked.

Somebody told me to cover the lawn with something opaque (no photosynthesis no grass theory), this is the only thing that i havent tried. So any ideas guys about how to kill the grass?

Thanks
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: how to kill the grass??

Post by M Farooq »

farhan wrote:hi all,

I have a small front lawn where i had the variety of grass known as "american ghass" in karachi. It was growing very well for 2 years, Then out of nowhere came the "local ghass" and before I knew it, it had colonized the whole lawn. I have tried everything to destroy it but nothing has worked out as of yet. I have tried not watering the lawn for a whole year (between monsoons), American grass died within a month, local grass is still alive and kicking. I have tried weedkillers, table salt (2 kilos in 1 square meter area), toilet cleaning acid, boiling water and nothing has worked.

Somebody told me to cover the lawn with something opaque (no photosynthesis no grass theory), this is the only thing that i havent tried. So any ideas guys about how to kill the grass?

Thanks
The chemical treatments that you have done are too harsh, please don't add acid to the lawn. It won't work because the soil attempts to neutralize the acid by dissolving its mineral within few minutes. 2 kg salt/ m2 of soil would have rendered your soil useless anyway.

Anyway, the good news is that your lawn is small and the grass roots are "relatively" shallow. Why don't you remove the top soil about 30-40 cm...and make the new lawn again.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I would second Farooq Sb's advice. From the methods you have been using it appears you want to destroy all grass non selective. Why not make it from scratch again. Now a days, its the season of putting up turf anyways.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Quite surprising! Ameriki Ghass is quite dense so should not be easily colonized unless you left the lawn to itself for a year or two. I agree, rip out the old turf and put in a new one. Then be vigilant with weeding manually.......no chemicals.
farhan

Post by farhan »

Thanks for your replies guys. The first thing I did was digging the land about one foot and plucking all the local grass. When the grass kept on growing again and again then only I tried the "harsher ideas". But nothing has worked till now. I havebeen looking for a herbicide that will kill the grass, but the herbicides I have used dont kill the grass, although they do kill all other herbs I have sprayed them upon.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

first water the alloted plot.when weeds & local grass appears use Round up(non selectable herbicide).wait for a week. when you see all vegetation turned hey color,dig the ground again & water again.when any vegetation appears for second time use Round up again.after a week the vegetation will turn hey color.prepare the soil & mox DAP OR SSP.plant the grass you like. i my self like the Bermuda grasses.
farhan

Post by farhan »

Thanks bro, it seems Roundup is working :D
asif.javed
City: Chiniot

Post by asif.javed »

I think remove the upper surface will not be so efficient iff some post removla treatments are not given. You should remove upper surface up to 3/4 inches. Then water your lawn and leave it for some days. Desi grass will come out and then remove it by "Goddi". Again water your lawn and repeat the same method until anything stops growing after watering the lawn.

This is the most effective way, merely removing the upper surface will not work because desi grass have very deep roots.

Return to “Lawn/Grass”