A gardening novice from Karachi needs loads of tips

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

Mir
City: Karachi

A gardening novice from Karachi needs loads of tips

Post by Mir »

Hello everybody ! happy to find a forum where i can ask & search for tips to grow a lush green lawn, i have planted "Dhaka Grass" in my lawn and i am facing problem with growning lush grass in areas where sunlight is not plentyful throughout the day.
The growth in those areas is slow compared to the properly exposed partsof the garden to sunlight. Please suggest a remedy for that, i think laying Dhaka grass in carpet form might help or a certain type of fertilizer not sure though please be generous in suggesting ideas thanks in advance.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: A gardening novice from Karachi needs loads of tips

Post by M Farooq »

Mir wrote:Hello everybody ! happy to find a forum where i can ask & search for tips to grow a lush green lawn, i have planted "Dhaka Grass" in my lawn and i am facing problem with growning lush grass in areas where sunlight is not plentyful throughout the day.
The growth in those areas is slow compared to the properly exposed partsof the garden to sunlight. Please suggest a remedy for that, i think laying Dhaka grass in carpet form might help or a certain type of fertilizer not sure though please be generous in suggesting ideas thanks in advance.
There is no decent solution to grow "grass" in shady areas :-(. You will always have patches of bare soil because of shade. A picture of your problematic lawn will be helpful so that others can suggest as well. What is the cause of shade? Trees, then trim them. If nothing works grow some shade loving plants in those areas.

Fertilizers won't help to compensate the lack of sunlight.

Regards,
Farooq
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Dhaka in shade will be slow but Insha Allah surely will cover in 6-8 months. It did at my place.

I planted grass in March. This Picture is of Sep. This garden does not get any sunlight for six months and only early sun for 1-2 hrs in summers. The patch with white box is always in full shade. Was slow to grow but covered up with time.

ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

@farhan sb had the same problem with my lawn.My Lawn is North facing and have a big mango tree.Grass is Australian.In winters grass completely dry out and under the tree area have patches.Should i switch over to dhaka grass?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Try adding river silt. Be generous with watering and sprinkle some urea every few days. Mow as grass starts to rise to make it spread. If vacant patches are larger add some grass plugs. I did not understand about the mango tree....is it covering the entire lawn area?
marwan22
City: Dubai

Post by marwan22 »

Great.
Greenlife
Gardening Interests: Landscaping company

Post by Greenlife »

Aoa,
I have started a garden landscaping company by the name of Greenlife. We specialize in garden design, lawn care, hardscaping, softscaping and 3d visualization to implementation. Looking forward to catering to users of gardening Pakistan. We are also sole importers of Perlite, Vermiculite and clay pebbles in Pakistan.
zahin.aslam
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: i always liked to grow greens

Post by zahin.aslam »

[quote="Greenlife"]Aoa,
I have started a garden landscaping company by the name of Greenlife. We specialize in garden design, lawn care, hardscaping, softscaping and 3d visualization to implementation. Looking forward to catering to users of gardening Pakistan. We are also sole importers of Perlite, Vermiculite and clay pebbles in Pakistan.
can you please tell me what are the prices of perlite and vermiculite

Return to “Lawn/Grass”