How to Get rid of Weeds in Grass

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

How to Get rid of Weeds in Grass

Post by jdashraf »

I went for sowing new grass in my lawn after digging and removing about 9-12 inches of old soil.Old soil was replaced with pure bhal. Grass is doing very well; however two types of weeds have also grown in the grass.
1. One with about one inch root (Pic 1)
2. 2nd with about 4-5 inches root, this is difficult to remove (Pic 2)
One of nursery men suggested me "Sun Star Gold" (Pic 3) by Bayer to get rid of these weeds.I have purchased it from Awan Seeds, its 20 gram sachet cost me Rs 500/-. The description shows that it is suitable for weeds in Rice and Sugarcane crops. Awan Seeds wala also said that it will work for grass.
Question: Should I go for Sun Star Gold to get rid of weeds shown in the pictures?
Attachments
Pic 1 (weed with one inch root)
Pic 1 (weed with one inch root)
Pic 2 (weed with 4-5 inches root), deela?
Pic 2 (weed with 4-5 inches root), deela?
Pic 3 (Sun Star Gold Sachet backside)
Pic 3 (Sun Star Gold Sachet backside)
Javed Ashraf.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: How to Get rid of Weeds in Grass

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

First is Crab Grass and second is nutsedge.

Crab grass is very easy to remove and you can weed manually once in fortnight.
Nutsedge has deep roots and will require deep removal of rhizome. However if you go for surface removal even, what happens is that gradually the rhizome starts to come up...thereby after two three surface removals, next removal will take out its roots.

I have seen few people spraying herbicides on grass with horrible results. I am an advocate of "Bend You Back"....That is the fun of gardening. Javed Sb sitting in lawn removing weeds :-)........Actually another aspect is that in Gardening you create as well as destroy. By weeding manually you are enjoying the joy of destruction ;-)
jdashraf
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

Thx Farhan, This I am already doing, but they come up again and again.
What about use of Sun Star Gold?
Has any one used Sun Star Gold for this purpose?
Javed Ashraf.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Apparently this products looks to be for narrow leaf weeds and grass is also a narrow leaf plant :-)

Umer SB has been recommending product with the name of Round Up.

Be careful while selecting herbicide....they are more effective when you are trying to eradicate narrow leaf from broad leaf or vice versa
Tamoor Ahmad virk
City: sheikhupura

Post by Tamoor Ahmad virk »

AOA
i face similar problem with my grass last year
i use MCPA named chemical easyly avail at agri stores
but i have come to know that sun star also working for these weeds
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Tamoor Ahmad virk wrote: i use MCPA named chemical easyly avail at agri stores
MCPA is a broad leaf herbicide....did it work for you on crab grass & nutsedge?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Aoa Javed sb always planting new lawn specially when you are using river sand (Bhal) its very important to treat the soil as well as the bhal to minimize the weeds.Sun star gold is very effective against these two types of weeds.the first one is easy to control with hand weeding.But second one called Deela in local language is very hard to control by manual weeding.Sun star gold easily kills it.i am using sun star for two years.one thing don,t use it every year.because these weeds specially deela develops immunity against weed killers.one deela is controlled i mean the number of plants is brought down remove it manually.In grass one can not weeds like in flower beds.you haveto puul out it with daranti or knife each plan.thats why when you have so much weeds then use weed killers.other wise manual pulling is good.
Always in future when you are going to start a new lawn filter bhal.so you can remove any deela bulbs.after that cover all the heep of bhal with black plastic sheet to kill any further weeds that grow.after that spread it into the lawn soil.For the lawn treatment water it.when weeds appear spray it with non selectable herbicide like Round up.repeat this practice two times.after that spread your treated bhal on it.this minimize the weeds growth.never use Manures.they have plenty of weed seeds.before planting grass mix some DAP into the soil to give the grass a healthy start.
jdashraf

Post by jdashraf »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Aoa Javed sb always planting new lawn specially when you are using river sand (Bhal) its very important to treat the soil as well as the bhal to minimize the weeds.Sun star gold is very effective against these two types of weeds.the first one is easy to control with hand weeding.But second one called Deela in local language is very hard to control by manual weeding.Sun star gold easily kills it.i am using sun star for two years.one thing don,t use it every year.because these weeds specially deela develops immunity against weed killers.one deela is controlled i mean the number of plants is brought down remove it manually.In grass one can not weeds like in flower beds.you haveto puul out it with daranti or knife each plan.thats why when you have so much weeds then use weed killers.other wise manual pulling is good.
Always in future when you are going to start a new lawn filter bhal.so you can remove any deela bulbs.after that cover all the heep of bhal with black plastic sheet to kill any further weeds that grow.after that spread it into the lawn soil.For the lawn treatment water it.when weeds appear spray it with non selectable herbicide like Round up.repeat this practice two times.after that spread your treated bhal on it.this minimize the weeds growth.never use Manures.they have plenty of weed seeds.before planting grass mix some DAP into the soil to give the grass a healthy start.
Thank you Khan Sb for detailed guidance. While preparing my new lawn I missed the precautions that you have mentioned. Same was also suggested by Farhan. Now I am left with its treatment. So please guide how to use Sun Star Gold, quantity and frequency?? Size of my lawn is approx 20x32 ft, grass type is fine dhaka.
Javed Ashraf.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Well Sun star gold is not for specific grass nor meant for lawn grass.but it kills weeks & not the grass so its good.Water your lawn throughly on a bright sun day in the evening.Mix two tea spoon Sun star gold powder in a glass of water to make a deep brown solution.then mix the solution into 6 liter water & spray on the lawn.Don,t apply water for next 48 hours.Javed you can also get weed killers ( narrow & broad leafed) specifically meant for grass from Mehfooz seeds,Islamabad or Pride seeds,Lahore.
jdashraf

Post by jdashraf »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Well Sun star gold is not for specific grass nor meant for lawn grass.but it kills weeks & not the grass so its good.Water your lawn throughly on a bright sun day in the evening.Mix two tea spoon Sun star gold powder in a glass of water to make a deep brown solution.then mix the solution into 6 liter water & spray on the lawn.Don,t apply water for next 48 hours.Javed you can also get weed killers ( narrow & broad leafed) specifically meant for grass from Mehfooz seeds,Islamabad or Pride seeds,Lahore.
Thanks Khan Sb.
Javed Ashraf.

Return to “Lawn/Grass”