Lawn mowers for korean grass

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

Arbab
City: Peshawar

Lawn mowers for korean grass

Post by Arbab »

korean grass is difficult to cut wit ordinary machines, does any body knows a machine wit the help of which we can cut korean grass easily n deep.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Lawn mowers for korean grass

Post by aykhan »

I also put Korean grass in my lawn last year. I then bought the electric Black and Decker machine to cut it since it's almost two canals of grass to cut!. However, even at the lowest setting the grass was too low for it's blade. I now got some washers to lower the blade further and will try to cut the grass once it is at least two inches high. I'll keep you posted on the result. There is a locally made motorized lawn mower which might be a better option but is as expensive as the imported machine.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Arbab thats why i dont like Korean grass.it also develope termites in its roots.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

There are two types of lawn mowers, rotary and blade cutters. The electric rotary ones are good for small rough job. The blade ones give better result. For small plots a hand machine is quite good. Go for one with 7 blades if you can find one.
I have a locally made motorised 24 inch mower with a larger than normal Honda engine and at a fast rate it mows about 6000Sq Ft per hour (I have about 51000SF lawns at Thokar).
What I am most interested in is WHY Korean grass for Lahore lawns, what is the advantage?
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I personally like the color which is a more pleasant green. It is also thicker than the fine Dhaka so takes tread much better. It is also more congested so more carpet like. However, the biggest reason for getting the Korean grass for me was that it is just excellent in shade. The fine Dhaka hardly ever grows under trees while the Korean does exceptionally well, and this comes from experience. It is also did better in winter since it remained greener than the fine Dhaka.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

AYKHAN, Where can I get some and how would I know what I am getting is REALY Korean. I understand there are various varieties of Korean grass, which one in your opinion is the best.
Arbab
City: Peshawar

Post by Arbab »

korean grass is the greenest of all grasses, its colour ressembles to that of astro turf, in contrast to other grasses it creeps under the soil, it hav highly congested needle like fooilage, u can roll the whole lawn like a carpet and shift it to other area, one disadvantage associated wit this grass is that due to its thickness it is hard to cut due to which its surface becomes un-even
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Korean grass is sold here by the name of American grass "zoysia tenuifolia"
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Any good nursery in Lahore can arrange to get you Korean grass. The person needs to be reliable since sometimes they will give you older grass or mixed grass. Some people also call it American grass. I got mine from Wahab Nursery in Model Town, Lahore and he gave me a good deal. Depending on the season and availability as well as how much you're buying, it should cost you anywhere from 12-18 rupees per square feet. Anything cheaper is probably not the real deal and anything more is likely overcharging. Another good thing is that weed problem is less compared to fine Dhaka since the grass is quite dense.
I agree it is difficult to cut, my mali complains about that :D
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Aoa Arif sb i personally i dont like Korean.but taste differs.the are also some advantages of this grass.the biggest adv is that its finishing is most beautiful of all grasses.if cared its the darkest green grass avble in Pakistan.if dont like its dosent mean its not good.i have my reasons.first of all very hard to move.secondly its roots grow very deep,ideal for termites.after some time its surface becomes uneven.

Return to “Lawn/Grass”