Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

arshee
City: Buner
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and flowering plants

Suggestion for my lawn

Post by arshee »

AoA
A small patch of lawn is almost completely in shade of nearby trees. Any suggestion about how to cover this piece to make it look good?

Moreover, pic below is another part of lawn:
Right side of it gets some sun light in the after noon, but left part with empty patches gets little direct sun. Can I make it look like same?

Regards
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Suggestion for my lawn

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

why not make a flower bed here?
Add DP/phosphate.
Bermuda grass should do well in shade.
Water regularly
plant some more patches of grass.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Farhan it seems hunger more than a shade, what do you think.Look at the lawn its indicating that it needs some fertilizer specially phosphorus as you said earlier.
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Seems ground is not watered properly.In the second pic area under the Fan is used more,which may have resulted in patches.I think your lawn needs a 'goddi' at the patches area and plant more grass.Also add fertilizer to it.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:why not make a flower bed here?
Add DP/phosphate.
Bermuda grass should do well in shade.
Water regularly
plant some more patches of grass.
That seems to be an appropriate plan of action for best rectifying the current situation however if this fails or is too much hard work im afraid I would be very tempted to start again from scratch and create something modern, contemporary and eyecatching.

Seems the nutrient/moisture sapping trees and your poor soil are working in unison to inhibit the growth of a lush green lawn, why not think totally out of the box and if you can afford the time and resources build raised beds so that any plantings are up and away from the tree roots with good nutritious soil. Don't be palmed off with subsoil as it may look good but its guaranteed to be infertile, taking time effort and nutrients to make it fertile again.

As you already have good structure in your garden with established trees and the architectural elements of your boundary wall. I would emphasise their qualities and maybe paint them in colours that make the plants you have pop out at you, green foliage or blue shade flowers look amazing against a backdrop of terracotta walls.

Alternatively mid blue walls with nothing but white theme flowers will make the garden appear more spacious, calm and restful. The second advantage with such a colour scheme is that during moonlit nights the white blooms against a relatively dark background give off a unique shining luminosity that almost rivals the glow from a full chandni moon. It really does look amazing but you would have to be extremely ruthless avoiding the use of other colours for that daytime dreamy look.

Some ideas for you to consider in respect of coloured walls and raised beds
Attachments
A monochromatic planting scheme with a broad expanse of zingy purple adding drama and excitement
A monochromatic planting scheme with a broad expanse of zingy purple adding drama and excitement
Blue flowers albeit potted but they could easily be in raised beds or in the ground stand out as they contrast with the background
Blue flowers albeit potted but they could easily be in raised beds or in the ground stand out as they contrast with the background
Small lawn with raised beds, the brick walls could be rendered to reflect the pattern in the boundary walls
Small lawn with raised beds, the brick walls could be rendered to reflect the pattern in the boundary walls
arshee
City: Buner
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and flowering plants

Post by arshee »

Thanks all for help.

Now I am going to do following:
With second pic portion
I ll do goddi
Then will apply DAP (but still confused abt quantity and method of fertilization)
Water profusely

Thanks newton for your valuable suggestion, but this being a government residence, I have little liberty to make drastic changes and at time it is not feasible as well.

For small piece in first pic I like the idea of setting up a flowering bed in shade area. For that I am expecting valuable and creative (as always) from seniors.
How can I prepare soil for this?
What should be planted here (this being a shaded area)?
I am personally thinking about some foliage combination with winter annuals. But being a novice in the field, know very little about what can flourish in the climate of Mardan?
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Is this garden in Mardan?I thought DI Khan.
In the first pic where you are planning to set the flowering bed,make a Triangle (from one side to other) Try to make it Raised.On its front side make another 1 1/2 ft long kiayari.In the back you can plant taller evergreen plants.Search for the shady plants.Make it a mix.You can add spider plants and this purple leaved plant which you already have. (whats its name?)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

TRY, lots of fertilizer and lots of water.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Believe me you will not get a good spring garden if you donot have a direct sun there, you can only try to put plants that are shade loving, adding more fertilizer will not do much if Sunlight is missing. It seems trees are getting all the sunlight and in shade nothing can be done much, you may use raised beds to avoid tree roots but sunlight would be issue, try to cut down tree branches before every winter to get sun into your garden.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sunlight doesn't seems to be an issue by looking at the 2nd picture. i concur with Brig Sahib, Farhan and Umar.

Return to “Lawn/Grass”