Suggestion for my lawn

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

arshee
City: Buner
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and flowering plants

Re: Suggestion for my lawn

Post by arshee »

This triangular piece is completely in shade. Trimming the tree will not help as it is north facing with permanent structure on southern side. And some shade is due to trees in neighborhood :) .

Any how I have made a plan and want suggestions/improvements from seniors.

Please suggest the plants and how to prepare soil for suggested plants.

Any creative ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks All.

Regards
Arshad
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Shade loving flowers like Callas, Orchids, Primulas, are very difficult to get survival in winters. You may try Cenenarias, Peace Lillies, nasturtiums, but again they are semi shade plants , i used to have such a condition in my hometown and i replaced annuals with shade living indoors, hanging plants and palms and give it a rain forest look !
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Mimulus is the perfect shade loving annual.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Try the following tips and work through colours that you like but in my humble opinion your best effects would be achieved through foliage rather than flowers.

Shade tolerant plants include Salvia, Cineraria, Impatiens, Caldium, Geraniums, Begonia, Ginger Lily, Cannas, Hibiscus Syriacus, Caladium, Bergenia. Hyacinths grown as annuals will create a great display.

Annual and perennial Flowers you wont get many in the shade. Also bear in mind you have competition from your established trees for moisture and you will have to maintain adequate levels in the soil to allow your new plants to settle in.

Alternatively trial your more valuable plants in pots sunk into the ground, that way you can remove them easily to another part of the garden if they start to suffer. I have trialled this way with roses to determine which ones will perform in shade.

When its time for planting try putting around 3/4 inches of good quality topsoil topped with two inches of well rotted manure or leafmould/compost on top to provide a microclimate of fresh soil away from established feeder tree roots for your new plants.

Good Luck
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Nice design.I would suggest Calla at the background.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

arshee wrote:This triangular piece is completely in shade. Trimming the tree will not help as it is north facing with permanent structure on southern side. And some shade is due to trees in neighborhood :) .

Any how I have made a plan and want suggestions/improvements from seniors.

Please suggest the plants and how to prepare soil for suggested plants.

Any creative ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks All.

Regards
Arshad
Planting is second step. First things first.
How do you plan to access each of this border? Unless you divide them with some separators enough to give you access and give a look that its one complete border.
How about graduation. Stepping?
arshee
City: Buner
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and flowering plants

Post by arshee »

Thanks all!

Yes Farhan Sahb, I must have figure it out first. I have updated the design. What about reducing the central triangle and make white pebbled border with three or four ever green plants on both sides behind black lines in pic below? This way the triangular region will be accessible from all side without stepping, I think.

So what your suggestion about second step i.e. plants for different parts?

Return to “Lawn/Grass”